Sony Doesn't Yet Know if Credit Card Info is Safe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hmm... this is a stark reminder of what life will be like if cloud computing takes over.
Feel good having no control? lolz..

I shouldn't be laughing, I think I had my CC details in there.. I don't remember now.
Hope Sony can get it under control.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Haha, homebrew my ass. How many of them really need homebrew games? PS3 playing homebrew apps, kinda degrading. What's the purpose anyway?

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
lucky for me its been so long since i bought anything on the PSN that my credit card has long expired...

... but i really do want my damn portal code so i can install it on my PC... portal sucks on the PS3...

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]...I do my best to make anyone I talk to NOT buy anything with Sony's name on it. I am the anti-customer you didn't want. Congratulations![/citation]

I am with you. I used to be a Sony freak. Sony television, home stereo, car stereo, PC parts, DVD, VHS, PS1, PS2, PS3...etc. You name it...if it had a Sony name on it I would purchase it first.

PS3 was the last thing I purchased with the Sony name and that was an ebay purchase on top of that. Something changed at that company and it shows. I will not ever purchase a Sony product again. Where I used to go out of my way to purchase from them, I now go out of my way not to.

Just bought a new TV...replaced a Sony with a Vizio. Got rid of the stereo and replaced with a Vizio soundbar and satellite sub. Everything Sony has been purged from my life. PS3 is it and will be the last. Going back to PC gaming anyway...minus any Sony parts. Once I move to Popcorn Hour the PS3 will go back to ebay where it was found to start with.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
What's even worse with pirates is that video game neglect becomes a bigger issue for them. So half the time they end up pirating a bunch of games, and never play them. What a load of crock.

G

Is LOIC even capable of damaging anything that's properly configured?

G

Sony is doing the right thing here. They are losing money because the network is down. They could bring up the old network at anytime but they want to make sure that credit card information is safe before they do it. I rather have a company like that keep my information because they take the necessary steps to make sure they stay safe. Plus if my credit card information was taken and used I just won't pay the bill. All sony has is your name, address, and credit card information. All people can do is charge it and 99% of the time the credit card company will call you because of it.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
The only way a LOIC attack would damage a server is if the hardware was not properly cooled in the first place and was already running too hot, thus extended usage caused damage to the hardware.

"Bob, please don't leave your laundry on top of the corporate network router, the heat is causing a horrid smell."

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"Sony Doesn't Yet Know if Credit Card Info is Safe"That's just lame, SONY.Pathetic.[/citation]

Better that than they lie about it though. I've read a report that basically said CFW users are the one's who'd be at great risk, because the virus that supposedly hit PSN was spread through one and because it was essentially a dev kit hack. Since it didn't operate on Sony's latest firmware there'd implicitly be no risk. Unless they managed to hop firmwares before Sony shut PSN down, which is highly unlikely.

You never really know out there.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Having purchased the original 60GB version of the PS3 when it was $600... The OtherOS problem Sony created for itself seems to have become something far more serious. Everything else continues to work fine.I was using YellowDog Linux prior to the removal of OtherOS. I miss it, my HDMI cable, and a large desktop that worked great. I never hacked my machine.I think to myself repeatedly, that if Sony had done "the right thing" for people who purchased their product, this kind of thing might not be happening.This is my last Sony console... I have already recommended people I work with AVOID SONY (nurses, anesthesiologists, etc, that like to game, and they have the money to do it).I have had 6 different families in my neighborhood ask me to help them with putting a decent gaming console in their living room. People with money to spend...Three got a PC. Two got XBOX360. One got a WII.Nobody bought a PS3, after is showed what has been happening after the last year.SCEA:I hope someone from Sony (with a brain and decision making power reads this). You had SIX FAMILIES that would have bought a PS3 had I told them to. I made sure NONE of them did, and they are happy.Are you? NO? Really?...Good!!I legally own my games. I do my best to make anyone I talk to NOT buy anything with Sony's name on it. I am the anti-customer you didn't want. Congratulations![/citation]

Their EULA states they have the right by sole discretion to modify their software agreement, and that the user's continued use of said software indicates their acceptance of said terms.

So basically that one statement covers both end of the argument here. "You don't like the way we're legally allowed to take parts of your PS3's spirit away at will? Find, don't use it."

It also follows that with the right to pursue legal action against anyone who violates their licensing terms. License is key here. Just like a driver's license, it is not your right to "have" or "own" it; only to "use" it on license owner's terms.

Anyways, for someone who personally didn't really care about the Other OS feature, mainly because I think the more I make my console a PC, the more I might as well just be playing my PC.
Sure it'd be cool to code for PS3 or something, (and that's probably the only advantage from both a financial and features perspective I can see XBL having, with XNA), but it defeats the purpose of it being a console. I'd almost want to have another one just to toy around in Yellowdog , Folding @ Home and experiment with on the side.

G

Thanks Sony. Sure it was my fault for using the same password on my email and PSN (fixed now of course..) but thanks to you someone from China accessed my account! Yay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.