Sony: Gamers Get Better Scores in 3D

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmp23

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I agree with soldier37 in the idea that 3D is good for a movie or a short stint playing a game, maybe about an hours worth. I have the whole setup and honestly I am very happy with my investment. It gets on my nerves though when people say it's a fad or a gimmick. Why anybody would complain about adding more realistic effects to their movies and games is beyond me.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]gmp23[/nom]I agree with soldier37 in the idea that 3D is good for a movie or a short stint playing a game, maybe about an hours worth. I have the whole setup and honestly I am very happy with my investment. It gets on my nerves though when people say it's a fad or a gimmick. Why anybody would complain about adding more realistic effects to their movies and games is beyond me.[/citation]
I'm sure many people would want a 3D setup. The thing us, prices are just beyond some, if not most, of our budgets. I believe someone mentioned before that people already own HDTVs, which is a good reason why we cannot be a 3D TV ATM. HDTVs aren't so expensive when compared to 3D TVs of the same size. What makes 3D TVs successful? Consumers. What makes consumers want to buy one? Affordability. Until prices lower and become more affordable, 3D TVs will remain amount a small percentage of consumers.

tranzz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The problems with headaches are caused by the 2 systems you eyes use to view 3d. Convergence and accommodation.

Convergence is the direction the eyes are pointing relative to each other to get a 3d image when the angle between them is wider it looks farther away and when the angle between them closes it appears closer.

Accommodation is when viewing a close object you need to focus the lens in your eye to get a clear image. The accommodation is relaxed to view a distant object.

When you view a 3d image on a screen the accommodation need to remain fixed to keep the screen in focus but the convergence demand is constantly changing to view of what your looking at. The dissasociation between your convergence and accommodation causes the headaches. The effect is worse when viewing a close screen like a 3ds or tablet. With a very distant cinema screen it can still cause probs but the effect is reduced.

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I own a 3D vision kit from nvidia and i have to say that in games that support the technology well, the experience is simply fantastic. But getting better scores? Nah, that's bullshit.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]99% of you cant afford 3D or never used said gear and go by what others negative comments on here. That being said I think its cool for an occasional movie at the theatre or a game every now and then. But for sitting at home watching a football game or 2 hour movie I dont like the glasses as most. I have nice big LED thin tvs throughout the house and a gaming latpop and gaming desktop at 2560 x 1600 and 1080p on the lap which is 3D ready. Its all in what you can afford and want. If you dont like 3D dont buy it. Oh and one more thing the Iphone isnt a fad, its a actual popular device thats been the top phone since 2007. Just because you cant afford one or seen a few geeks with one dont hate, just move along to the next story. Cause those of us that think and can afford this stuff and have Iphones dont want to hear it from the poor masses. Get educated.[/citation]

People don't like the Iphone for other reasons than they don't want to waste high end phone price money on a mid range spec'd phone you know

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
IMO when they get 3D working right without compromise its a much bigger jump in technology then adding more pixels would ever make. Its not a gimmick it's just in its early stages and needs time.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]an mp3 player isnt a fad... ipod is well known due to it being first, but thats it. tablet and smartphones... ...[/citation]

i really hope your joking.. ipod wasnt even close to first.. it was about a decade to late to be first.

G

I own a 50" panasonic 3d TV and game on it at 1080p in 3d, It is awesome simply awesome experience!

But it does not make me better in FPS games, it makes me FAR WORSE!

There is just too much going on in 3d to have the speed necessary to kill fast! when I am going for the kill, I turn off alot of the eye candy anyways normally, Its about response

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I checked out a 3d tv just to see what the hype was about and it bugged my eyes out after 5 minutes. I hate to say it but 3d is just a fad that comes and goes.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Dude, 3D Gaming one of the best things I've ever added to my setup. I'm not one of the Hard core gamers who put thousands of dollars into my rig. Currently my system is 3 years old, swapped out the GPU about two years ago to a GTX 260. I looked into the reviews and figured out that the Mitsubishi 3D DLP screens were fantastic, even without factoring in the 3D. About half a year later I grabbed a Nvidia 3D-kit, and boy was it fun playing in 3D.

Getting better scores is bullshit. I spent too long gazing at the realistic cabinet in the respawn room to care about my score. (or whatever else happened to look impressive in 3D)

PS, 3D gaming on it's own does not damage your eyes. They did studies (and found that it hurt people younger than 5's visual cortex in extended use) and found nothing to do with 3D in people older than 5. Just using a screen too long does however, and most people just ignore that.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I've been gaming on my 3DTV for the past 2 years. I love it.
I know it has improved my performance. It particularly helps with judging distance on range shots that have considerable arc or lob, like grenade launchers etc. Anyways vote this down because you disagree, 3D is just a fad yada yada.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
More information is always useful. 3D provides depth information you wouldn't normally have. As long as your frames per second and eye candy settings aren't lower to accommodate your 3D, then it actually helps. but not if you're the type that gets headaches or otherwise hates 3D, just realize that it doesn't bother everyone.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Maybe because it's not really 3D? It's 2.5D, a false dimension. You can't make a flat image into a true 3D image. That maybe why hun.

For me side from the above (and I don't need to spend thousands on a fake image) but I just can't see "3D" from these machines. I can't wear the glasses and see the image clearly, and the 3DS, while I like the system, I can't see it's effects either. >

tranzz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"Just using a screen too long does however, and most people just ignore that."

Using a screen dosn't damage your eyes

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tranzz[/nom]The problems with headaches are caused by the 2 systems you eyes use to view 3d. Convergence and accommodation. Convergence is the direction the eyes are pointing relative to each other to get a 3d image when the angle between them is wider it looks farther away and when the angle between them closes it appears closer. Accommodation is when viewing a close object you need to focus the lens in your eye to get a clear image. The accommodation is relaxed to view a distant object.When you view a 3d image on a screen the accommodation need to remain fixed to keep the screen in focus but the convergence demand is constantly changing to view of what your looking at. The dissasociation between your convergence and accommodation causes the headaches. The effect is worse when viewing a close screen like a 3ds or tablet. With a very distant cinema screen it can still cause probs but the effect is reduced.[/citation]

The problem isn't that your eyes are doing it, or that is how it's achieved, the problem occurs when an object is presented too close to your face. Our eyes do the same exact thing you described all day long in the real world. It's only a problem if force an object to be viewed as if at your nose in distance causing you to go cross-eyed.

I'm fairly certain the problem is more to do with flickering between frames from one eye to the next, which at movies refresh rates is 24hz. (24hz per eye), but in gaming, it's up to 60hz per eye if you have the right setup.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Ultra H.D. + glasses free or polarized 3d = Win

People who can't see 3D, or get headaches from it, I feel sorry for. I just got a 3D monitor in June this year, and it's much better then I expected, and I play in 3d all the time. Sony is right, a lot of games don't implement 3D correctly, and some ignore it completely. One little software design error and the experience is ruined. But some games are so over the top in 3D like Black Ops or Crysis 2, that it makes it well worth the investment. And 3D is getting cheaper every day. I don't even have a blu-ray player, so I haven't been able to play 3D movies yet, but still I think it's well worth the price.

Just my opinion, pls don't rip my head off...

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I don't owned a 3D TV and probably won't for a very long time (if ever), same on my PC monitor or on my notebook. I think that 3D is still a fad. If for some reason we are still hearing about it 10-15 years from now, and if by then we have REAL 3D TV that do NOT require glasses of any type, and can be seen from any angle on the room, maybe I think about it then.

PS3 is already 3D, my games are NOT, I seriously doubt that Sony will require all games to be on 3D, that would be really dumb from Sony.

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]3D is just a lazy gimmick. The real improvement over todays hardware is going to be another huge jump in resolution. 8k4k TVs and Monitors for instance; which Sony should be bringing to market with the PS4 for a truly awesome experience and not a gimmick.[/citation]

I agree, it is a lazy gimmick because it just hasn't delivered the sort of immersion that customers thought they were getting. The way the promote 3D is like you're literally immersed in the space when that's not the case. Give me 3D that's close enough to virtual reality and then I'd be sold. Until then I'll be pretty happy using my imagination *draws a sparkly rainbow with a wave of my hand* (spongebob reference) to immerse myself in movies and games.

8k4k TVs arn't going to sell even if they came down to cost. For resolution increases, Its like diminishing returns in terms of a TV's value proposition. Remember you're not going to get 8k4k sources of video for a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.