Sony KDL50W800B - Help Identify bad part

MotoJunkie

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
Hey Everyone,

I have a Sony KDL50W800B that is only about 18 months old. Recently it has started acting up. The standby light will blink 5 red blinks and the TV won't turn on. I found that if I unplug the LVDS cable and turn it back on I get sound but no picture. After doing this a few times, Ill plug the LVDS back in and the TV will work for days, weeks, or hours. The picture is perfect when it works. TV diagnostics says Tcon board, but from what I read there is usually picture issues when its the Tcon. Could it be the LVDS cable?

I don't know much about troubleshooting TV's, any help or knowledge is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello.

I recommend first trying to open your T-CON and checking for any pinched or odd flat ribbon cable. If there is nothing visible, then I suggest trying to first get a LVDS cable and replace it. Ebay-cable kit It is inexpensive, and easy to try. (Unless you do not live in the US or neighboring countries and the shipping is extreme)

If this solves nothing your issue is most probably the LCD panel. 5 blinks mean a bad connection or a bad panel. The panel exhibits a random short circuit, and triggers the error code. I have a TV set in storage with the exact same issue. There is no repair for this, the panel is too costly to repair or replace.