Sony: Kinect's Problems are ''Quite Big''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]RisnDevil[/nom](Don't know how to do a proper quote box, so....)"Get this. Motion controller is never about "core" games. Is there any GOOD fps game on Wii using motion controller?"Have you played ANY Wii fps? The CoD series is well done, along with the Resident Evil: XXX Chronicles series, and so is Conduit. Hell, there is a WiiWare FPS that is good (darn good if it gets a bell-curve for being WiiWare). ANY FPS that was built for the Wii motion controls handles like a dream. Sure, the graphics aren't as good, but some of us enjoy the gameplay more. End of RantNow, between the Move and the Kinect...if I had to choose, Move wins. The analogy of 2015 tech in 2010 means nothing when it can't be supported. Microsoft and Sony are both trying to shoehorn their devices onto all games, and if all games can't support it, then people should just stick with the Wii. No matter how you skew the numbers, a core system plus addon device from either Sony or Microsoft is more than the Wii, and if all they support is casual game(r)s, then it's not worth it. The Move (and the PS3) are capable of significant firmware upgrades to make the device more useable, and less lag-prone, which is the win people need/want. I love my Wii, but have to admit: (since I already own a PS3 and 360) I would be happy to migrate to one of those devices if it can deliver the same response and (better) precision of the Wii with better graphics. As much as I care about gameplay, graphics do matter, but not at the cost of usability.[/citation]

Well...I'm no COD fan or FPS for that matter...but you'll still probably be pawn by a noob with a mouse/keyboard combo for FPS. :p Cheers.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]hmm, using up half the console's power is a problem... pretty much guarantees only lame wii like games for it[/citation]
I agree, it is a problem, but that was the trade off for cost. Microsoft had to remove the integrated CPU and likely RAM that Kinect originally had in it because it drove up cost too much.

I'm hoping once they get some liscensing revenue off the current crop of Kinect games they can subsidize a Kinect version with the built in CPU and RAM. I mean, obviously they can do it if they've sold 2.5 million Kinects since launch or whatever the figure is. At least, that's assuming they sell enough games to go along with those Kinects.

Till then, I'm probably not going to get Kinect unless it is proven to me that developers can compensate effectively through software.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
When you look at sales as a ratio to money spent marketing the product, the Move will most likely come out on top.

I have a Move, simply because I have a PS3; motion controllers for any console isn't enough for me to switch to another console. I really like Move, the Sports Champions game is a great deal of fun.

I had a go with Kinect, and 'being the controller' is really fun, especially in stuff like bowling, but the lag is absolutely ridiculous, almost a full second of me moving my hand to it being shown on screen. That Sony guy did have a point there despite him blatantly saying it all to big up the Move. While lag on the Move is still there, its not half as much as what you see on Kinect.

[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Another SONY fanboy...MS making 100 bucks from the Kinect, you must be reading that article who dissect the Kinect and claims it cost 56 bucks. You know, the your Intel i7 chip is just sand baked in an oven. Should cost less than 5 bucks. But smart people (not you), will know that is not the whole story as the efforts go into designing, testing the cpu, the software needed to run it etc all cost $$$. I think i said enough.i[/citation]

Erm silicon isn't exclusive to sand, its just the most abundant resource in which to gain it. And it isn't just 'baked in an oven', it is electrically lithographed across a (normally) 300mm wafer of silicon in a completely sealed chamber. And yes, a lot of money is spent in R&D but you have massively underestimated the costs involved in the actual production of the chip.

newblood

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I recently got a Kinect and a Move for my work at a LAN center. I must say first of all, the lag on the Kinect is unbelievably terrible, thinking it might just be the one I got since some people are saying its not that bad. Move is a lot quicker, but there still is that processing lag, thats gonna be there for any motion control unless maybe they can run off of USB 3 instead of USB 2 and go from 30MBps to 100MBps which would be nice. As with the PS3, the Move has a lot more possibilities down the road since it does take up less processing power and more frames per second, and the distance tracking can be set up through firmware update, it will still lack the "3-way" camera angles that the Kinect has to efficiently get 3D. Overall, I'd chose the Move simply because of the more possibilities, and it doesn't NEED the motion stick dildo thing. Personally I prefer buttons rather than completely hands free since it allows more options. Must say the Kinect's advertisement was a lot better, also a bit misleading since it shows absolutely no lag in the ad's. -_-' My friend wants to get the move for the soul purpose of waving your hand to go through netflix... sigh ⌐.⌐'

lafleur1977

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I purchased move when it was released. I think it works really well and I really enjoyed it when I had some friends over. There isn't many games that currently appeal to me at the moment thought there are alot due soon that do, however I think the motion controller idea isn't as great compared to standard controllers for most games. I see it as a fun alternative for some games but not as a replacement for standard controllers.

I haven't used kinect, its looks good but the problems I have read about don't sound good. It also seems similar to PS2's eyetoy, and move with the eye camera probably has much of the capability anyway.

yudi19

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Well, kinect problems are Actually HUGE for Sony..
More than 2.5Million units sold in a few days is a Big slap on Sony's PS3 ..
KINECT rocks.. go MSFT!!! :D

monopolized

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I think people are missing the point on why MSFT chose Kinect...

One of the biggest knocks on the X360 has been it's focus on 1st person shooters (not being overly child or even female friendly). Nintendo demonstrated there's a healthy and huge market opportunity in providing a gaming technology that is family oriented, inclusive and frankly - simple. My children loved the Wii and so did my parents and even my 85 yr old granny.

I think MSFT did something different and chose a different motion interaction strategy rather than yet another hand held device (ah.. no batteries, no controller condoms, no controllers through the tv screen) and addressed (for once) the broader gaming world. Everyone who's tried it in my home as loved it, including my 3 yr old. So, while I'm not for lavishing love on a company that traditionally doesn't innovate, borrow's ideas from it's competitors and often arrives late and unprepared to markey (Kin anyone?), I think they deserve some kudos for this.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
the reason kinect is selling faster is because microsoft went with something different. we have seen the move for the last several years with the wii. the controllers are just uglier but the premise is the same. why buy the move if you have a wii. not enough of a difference to justify the cost. i did watch the kinect in action yesterday at BB tho and it was kinda sluggish to react to peoples movement and it did seem to have trouble picking them up. the people playing were still having a good time tho and thats what matters.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]There is nothing to say Microsoft cannot add a tracking device and a controller for the Kinect which would definetly increase its usability. However, the limiting factor on the Kinect is the XBox360. As the engineer said, its costly resource wise which limits its usage in games. The PS3 on the other hand has the hardware behind it. Obviously he is biased, but this point is not construed. I think this will be the real difference and challenge for developers.To moving while aiming... Get some skillz.Kinect will most likely sell like hotcakes for PC users.[/citation]

what is better fault sony for making a product on bare minimum specs which makes it easier to integrate or microsoft for pushing the limits of the xbox and therefor is a pain to integrate....for all the talk about how powerful ps3 is too bad no one is using it...and this after what 5years? and all that power is good for is folding@home

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
MS just made a single mistake with Move; outsource the computation to the XBox. They could've made Kinect a little more expensive, but give it more computational power to offload the XBox. When you have less resources for the main game just to add a "gimmick", then you'll get half of both IMO. A half working gimmick with a half working game. At least I see it like that.

So far, the games for Kinnect are very light in content and details (to say the least) compared to other titles for the XBox. Hope there's a rev2 for Kinnect before the Consoles gen change.

Cheers!

G

instead of bickering about who has the better tech how about you name a game that you just MUST HAVE or some Smash Hit that uses it!?. . . . . . Its all about the games, tech is just a small piece of the puzzle.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I have played both the Move and Kinect at a Lan parties that a group that I belong to throw. Luckily we have a Gamestop rep who is part of the group who has access to all the promos and whatnot. I tried the MOve and I did enjoy it. It is basicly the Wii but with better graphics. The next event we held, he brought the Kinect and I must say, I have not seen any game/peripheral bring people together having a good time like the Kinect.

Now I wasn't going to buy either, but when I told my wife about the kinect and the Dance game(ans subsequently saw the video uploaded by a friend of me dancing), she went all ape shit over it and wanted it IMMEDIATELY! We have had it for a little bit now and I recently took it to the family Thanksgiving dinner. I have to say, I have never seen so many family members want to play together with these games.

I would say that is one point to Microsoft and none to Sony. I am not a fanboi of either since I own both systems.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Must say I enjoy the Move a lot. I feel the games are very deep. No complaints.

Don't have an XBox though so no comparison to the Kinect here.

Suffice to say both should be better than Wii titles, but I fear that the required CPU attention to crunch Kinect info may handicap games to some extent. We'll see.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Kinect "selling like hotcakes, flying off the shelves compared to Move"? Move is still about 1.5 million units ahead of Kinect, having nowhere near the marketing budget. What's funny is Sony passed on this tech, knowing full well its limitations when it comes to making games for gamers. Another funny thing is how Microsoft making nearly $100 profit on every Kinect sold, probably to pay for their massive marketing budget. Not exactly benefiting the consumer there. Both devices are pretty gimmicky though.[/citation]

MS is not making 100$ profit on this device yet. There was a huge R&D for Kinect, it cost them millions, and they won't recover that overnight.

G

30fps is a pretty good compromise, chances are if your hand was in position A in frame 1 and position B in frame 2 then it moved from A to B in a straight line (bear in mind that it took 1/30 sec) very few of us have movement capabilities of 1/60 of a second, also bear in mind @ 60fps your going to need to process twice as much data as 30fps which will mean more resources required

bmouse

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Is it just me or does this Anton Mikhailov guy like totally kinda seem to talk like a cheerleader like?
Sony should only allow this guy to give comments in written form after they've been 'de-valley-girled'.
I'm certainly no MS fan, (prefer PS3 actually) but this guy is 'like' making stuff up....

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Comparing the Kinect to the Move is like comparing how fast a sportscar can go to how much cargo a pickup truck can hold... they have the same general topic, but the measures are totally different.

Kinect = brand new tech with no gaming equivalent so far.

Move = Playstation Wii

You can list off all the shortcomings you want, and sure maybe they'll be fixed in the future, and maybe by competing products, but the point is there's nothing to compare it to yet... so quit comparing!

Status
Not open for further replies.