Sony Says Price of Whitney Albums Raised By Mistake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
"The mistake was the fault of one British employee "

Actually that excuse has gotten me out of many jams.

BTW doesn't Apple have a patent on that excuse.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I don't think any excuse would be believable in these circumstances, just too much of a coincidence.

I hope customers who bought the albums get the difference refunded. Either way, a PR disaster for Sony so any profits made are probably dwindled by the damage.

Blaming one of your employees is a really lame excuse - everything a company does, ever, is a result of an employee decision - it doesn't make it OK.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Somewhere at Sony HQ there is a very tighly organised "accident" department with a big red button used to automatically enhance the price of albums on a select number of artists that have drug problems and are circling the toilet bowl
Couple of years ago Britney was on the books but has dropped away recently, Pete Doherty is currently number one, guaranteed that when he ODs and chokes on his own vomit in a few months all the albums by The Libertines will "accidentally" go up 30% due to a "mistake" by a random "British employee"

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Obviously, they expected demand to rise, and raised prices accordingly.

They own Houston's tracks, not her.

It wasn't a mistake, they were well within their rights to raise the price, but they have to take the flame if they get caught.

G

If you ever worked on a system which includes products/services and so on, you know that there need to be at least 100 signatures under that "accident"... Sure, keep blaming a SINGLE person... How stupid Sony thinks people are???

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
So all of you Tom's Hware readers don't care much for Sony? [Yeah i figured that out all by myself] Hey the prices they were selling this stuff for [after inflation of course] was still a good deal. Go down to Best Buy or Wal Mart [I know another TH favorite] and try to buy these cd' for that price. OK well I don't care for them either. Sheep will always be sheep.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]rotzloeffel[/nom]If you ever worked on a system which includes products/services and so on, you know that there need to be at least 100 signatures under that "accident"... Sure, keep blaming a SINGLE person... How stupid Sony thinks people are???[/citation]

Based on the fact that this pricing "accident" only happened for 2 albums, and only on iTunes UK, is a clear demonstration that is was NOT a Sony Music corporate decision. There is no way this idea came from anywhere near the top of the company or it would have been more widespread. Was this whole thing an accident? Certainly not. Was it the fault of just one person? Maybe, maybe not, but this incident has all the markings of a rogue employee, or a small number of employees who thought they were either being funny (in bad taste) or doing something that was going to get them a promotion and instead it probably cost them their jobs and put Sony in damage control mode.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
They'll probably wait a few months so that they can get interest on that money took before they give it back. Just like how phone companies "accidentally" charge a few extra cents here and there and after a few years be like, oh we're sorry, the computer "accidentally" charged extra, after they had already invested that money to refund it back.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
LMAO I'm trying to figure out who's buying worthless pre-canned & manufactured Clive Davis brand pop music from the 90's.

Talk about brainless sheep. If you're buying this crap you deserve to be ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.