Sony TV to Bluray problem

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I have Samsung BD-E5400 bluray player, a Sony KDL-48W600B tv and Sony STR-DH130 receiver. I can get sound for the TV but not the bluray. Please help. Thanks.

Solution
With the setup you have right now, you will not get sound for your bluray player.

When you connect HDMI from you bluray player to your TV, the HDMI is carrying both video and audio from your bluray to TV. So your TV will of course play sound with its internal speakers. Now when you select external audio, the TV will have to throw out that audio from somewhere. In your TV i could only see one source from where the TV can throw out the audio and that is headphone out. Not sure it has an digital out or audio out through RCA.

Regarding the Comcast box, the RCA cable is carrying the audio from the box to the receiver and your TV has nothing to do with it. I am sure you have connected one more cable from comcast to TV for video, like HDMI...

ashik1983

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

So you connected RCA cables from the audio out of your TV to your receiver. When you play DVD, disconnect the RCA cable from the TV audio out and check if your TV plays audio from the DVD through its own speakers. If it plays then again connect the RCA cable to the audio out of TV and see what happens. If the sound mutes then at least we know that TV stopped playing the sound by itself and is now sending it through audio out.

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Yes the bluray, not DVD, will play if I do as you instructed but it always did because I would have to go into the TV's menu and choose internal speakers, but as soon as I choose external speakers, no sound and that's problem.

ashik1983

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I was just taking a look at the back panel of this TV. Your TV does not have an audio out through RCA. So are you using Optical to RCA cable or you are using your headphone out by 3.5mm jack to RCA?

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I was told by another electronics guy to connect a RCA cable from the audio out on my Comcast cable box to my Sony receiver and that works for the Sony TV. I changed the sound settings on my TV from internal speakers to external speakers and I get sound for the TV thru my home speakers.

ashik1983

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
So when you play your Bluray and select external speakers, your TV will start audio output from the headphone out. You will have to use a 3.5 mm male jack to RCA cable wire and connect it to your receiver.

Before doing this, just use any headphone you may have with you and connect it to the headphone out of your TV. Play your bluray and select external speakers and check if you get sound. If yes then use the above mentioned cable and you are good to go.

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
We've gotten off subject a little bit as far as the headphone jack goes. Let's start over. Right now I have a RCA cable connected from my "Comcast Cable box Audio Out" to my "Sony STR-DH130 receiver in the SAT Audio In" and my external speakers are connected to the Sony receiver as well. From these connections I have sound for my Sony KDL-48W600B TV . My Samsung BD-E5400 Bluray player is connected with a HDMI cable to the Sony TV. Right now I can only get sound for my Bluray if I manually switch the sound from external speakers to the internal speakers in my Sony TV. I just want to know if I can get sound for my bluray player, with the setup that I currently have with this system. Please forget about the headphones connection. Am I out of luck or what? Thanks for your help.

ashik1983

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
With the setup you have right now, you will not get sound for your bluray player.

When you connect HDMI from you bluray player to your TV, the HDMI is carrying both video and audio from your bluray to TV. So your TV will of course play sound with its internal speakers. Now when you select external audio, the TV will have to throw out that audio from somewhere. In your TV i could only see one source from where the TV can throw out the audio and that is headphone out. Not sure it has an digital out or audio out through RCA.

Regarding the Comcast box, the RCA cable is carrying the audio from the box to the receiver and your TV has nothing to do with it. I am sure you have connected one more cable from comcast to TV for video, like HDMI or a yellow RCA cable. So for audio there is no middleman between Comcast and your receiver because RCA cable is directly sending it from Comcast to receiver.

Solution