Sony Unveils Project Morpheus, a Virtual Reality Headset for PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
What I'd really like to see is something like Oculus Rift get support for multiple systems, so you don't need a different VR headset for each system! The best move MS could make to counter would be to embrace Oculus Rift so you could use the same headset on PCs as well as XB1.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I cant really see devs embracing Sonys VR headset the way they are embracing the Oculus Rift. Hopefully Sony decides to work with Oculus for the next one and make a deal to use the same Rift software because thats the only way I think Sony can be succesful with this. Devs who are working on games supporting Oculus Rift could just quickly port Rift support to Sonys headset easily. Its not a great idea to fragment the VR business before it even starts, especially if the business isnt 100% to be a success.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Virtual Reality does not work for everyone. In fact, i would wager that 3 out of 10 people cant use VR because of health conditions. Nausea is one thing, but some people are incapable of merging 2 screens into 1, similar to binoculars.

andy_mc29

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I'm sick of people saying the PS4 can't output 1080p at 60fps. It can easily do this. The reason games don't run at that is that the game engine is using graphics that are too complex to run at that rate. It all depends on how nice you want the graphics to look. You could take any PS3 game and run it at 60fps at 1080p on PS4 and it would look awesome in VR. Don't expect VR games on PS4 to look the same as the games you play on a flat screen because flat screen games are much less dependant on a constant frame rate. However a drop in frame rate when playing in VR can cause motion sickness, so it makes sense that VR games will look a little simpler but run much smoother and therefore give a better experience.

wanderer11

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I was at a Sony demo about a year ago and they had a VR headset. I tried it with GT 5 and thought it was absolutely terrible. It was really uncomfortable/heavy, and just looked like a big tv.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I'm sick of people saying the PS4 can't output 1080p at 60fps. It can easily do this. The reason games don't run at that is that the game engine is using graphics that are too complex to run at that rate. It all depends on how nice you want the graphics to look. You could take any PS3 game and run it at 60fps at 1080p on PS4 and it would look awesome in VR. Don't expect VR games on PS4 to look the same as the games you play on a flat screen because flat screen games are much less dependant on a constant frame rate. However a drop in frame rate when playing in VR can cause motion sickness, so it makes sense that VR games will look a little simpler but run much smoother and therefore give a better experience.
No one's disputing that. And everyone understands your point already. Fact is, people demand better visual quality over fluidity in certain games. For twitch based shooters and RPG games, 60fps is pretty useful. But for RPG and racing games, people would probably prefer a better visual quality experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.