Sony's PSP-4000 May Be Slated for 2010

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
also if the next psp is nothing but a psp go with a UMD drive then color me unimpressed, sony deserves to be making losses on their psp division.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
In regards to the iphone, at least the psp doesn't force you into a two-year contract. I mean I guess there are a lot of people that think it's worth paying $30/month for internet everywhere, but I mean in the end you are tacking on another $720 to an already expensive iphone...

That's why I haven't bought an iphone yet. It's hard for me to shell out that kind of cash when I already pay for a faster and more reliable internet service. If I only use an iphone for two years, I would be looking at paying around $1000 total.

I don't know I guess it's worth it to a lot of people though

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
sony should come out with something new otherwise they might crash and burn like they did with the dreamcast, if it does crash hopefully they wount have to do what they did with the playstation, and playstation 2.

sega = sony entertainment group of america if any ones wondering.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Show me a game thats worth it first???

The home brew amiga stuff get me interested in the PSP? but I've seen nothing else on the shelfs.

G

the psp2 needs dual analog sticks, or it is worthless. improved graphics, battery life, screen, and everything else are nice, but the psp was supposed to be like a portable console. so make it like a portable console! the ds is fine because it specializes in simpler games with simpler control schemes. if the psp wants to be the more advanced system, it should have controls at least more advanced than the 64.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
My friend is brainwashed into thinking the PSP go has a 480mhz CPU when that was a type-o in some technical document. He even showed me the article saying it was a type-o and for some reason still thinks that it has a 480mhz cpu in it. Bonehead. It has the same clock of cpu as the psp 1000 which is fine. 333mhz maximum speed. I love my PSP 1000 and would never ever consider purchasing a PSP Go. Good for sony with the PSP 4000. Thumbs up.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
oh for the love of G*d ITS ABOUT THE FRICKIN GAMEPLAY!! How does nintendo do it? they got a cartridge and you draw stuff and blow into your handheld to make things go and you make squiggly lines to change weapons .. How does Apple do it? all the apps are downloaded "and cheap", you have no buttons but a mappable multi touch screen. you tilt and shake your handheld to make things turn and go.

what does sony have? a button you push and a D-pad...... ..

lightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I for one am looking forward to the next generation of the psp, you know like a psp2. These yearly upgrades to the hardware is just boring, be it that the psp has been out for close to 5 years now, you would think instead of of a psp 4000 we would actually be hearing about how next year a psp2 would finally see the crack of day!!

G

They could vastly improve the PSP's online, 1 GB of ram, adobe flash 10 support, blue tooth, improved screen over 3000, and a more power efficient battery.

However, if they make the system's screen smaller, even by a centimeter, I will not buy it.. I'm still using a 2000 model, and I'm sure that if the 4000 model had everything the 2000 model did, + more, I could upgrade. I use my PSP a lot, although mostly for music and movies, not games, and I think it's time I sat this one in the drawer.

I want the UMD drive, so that I'm able to play my UMD games. If I want digital games, I can have them on my memory stick, and get the best of both worlds.

G

I hope this is not true, we need psp2 not 4000. And i hope PSP2 will be Download only.

tctiberium

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
It should be a handheld game system first. Everything else (music, movies, etc) should be a secondary consideration. Sony seems to forget that. Adding stuff like a comic book reader, please… How about adding some real games that are worth playing for more than 10 minutes before your bored. Most of the good games are remakes of playstation 1 games, so they are not even a "true" PSP game. And to be honest I am tried of playing playstation 1 games for the PSP. I mean come on already. I have tried so many games for the PSP and find out that they are junk. I like the psp and keep hoping Sony gets the hint and makes things better. It really does have some potential, if Sony will just stop trying milk us on this "We have changed one thing stuff, now buy our product" and make some FUN, GOOD, GAMES.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tctiberium[/nom]It should be a handheld game system first. Everything else (music, movies, etc) should be a secondary consideration. Sony seems to forget that. Adding stuff like a comic book reader, please… How about adding some real games that are worth playing for more than 10 minutes before your bored. Most of the good games are remakes of playstation 1 games, so they are not even a "true" PSP game. And to be honest I am tried of playing playstation 1 games for the PSP. I mean come on already. I have tried so many games for the PSP and find out that they are junk. I like the psp and keep hoping Sony gets the hint and makes things better. It really does have some potential, if Sony will just stop trying milk us on this "We have changed one thing stuff, now buy our product" and make some FUN, GOOD, GAMES.[/citation]

agreed. good games should come first(at least for portable gaming consoles). then you can add all that other fluff.

I was on the fence about getting a psp this christmas. I wanted something that did internet, email, video, music, and gaming. However, my priority wasn't necessarily gaming, and there wasn't a whole lot of games for the psp that I really wanted. There are still a handful of awesome games in there, but i decided to go with the ipod touch. It's a bit more casual, and i like that cuz if i want to spend 15 hours playing a game it will be on my xbox/pc and not on a handheld. but that's just my personal preference. to each his own.

G

Good lord what happened to Sony? They used to be a cutting edge company dedicated to making the best electronics products on Earth. Now? Now they're *maybe* going to release a second generation product a DECADE after the original PSP? What? Hello?

How utterly pathetic is the PSP team? They'll get destroyed by Apple and Nintendo who aren't afraid to take risks and radically improve their products.

The PSP GO was a PSP with a different BUSINESS MODEL. Period.

Hey Sony, how about you make a BETTER product and stop being so pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.