Sound isolation for an apartment

Pseudoscience888

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
I'm moving into an upstairs apartment and want to isolate the sound from my stereo speakers so my neighbors can't hear them. I already do things like turning the bass all the way down and keeping the volume low, but I have floor-standing speakers and I expect sound will conduct through the floor. I'm considering buying speaker isolation stands but I know nothing about them, and all of the discussion online regards how they improve sound quality, but improving sound quality is not my concern. Does anybody know if such things will help limit sound from transmitting through the floor into the apartment underneath me?

Solution
After you do all kinds of stuff the reality is that they will still hear the speakers. You would have to build an airtight room within a room to completely isolate it.
Platforms under the speakers will reduce direct transmission through the floor.
I concur with rbagany that the only true solution is headphones. Or invite your downstairs neighbor to the party.

rbagany

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I assume the building is not your property, neither is your apartment. You could install an underlayment on the top of the floor boards, under the carpet/tile/laminate/etc. I think if you really want to enjoy load music or gameplay, a pair of good headphones (over-the-ear) with Blutooth will do much, much better.

After you do all kinds of stuff the reality is that they will still hear the speakers. You would have to build an airtight room within a room to completely isolate it.
Platforms under the speakers will reduce direct transmission through the floor.
I concur with rbagany that the only true solution is headphones. Or invite your downstairs neighbor to the party.

Solution