Sound problem on Toshiba laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DandyCandy

Estimable
May 21, 2014
I tried looking all over for an answer, but couldn't find it. Basically here's the problem. The sound on my laptop speakers works fine, then it just cuts off at a random point. It won't work again unless I plug in then plug out headphones (or go to Control Panel -> Sound, then disable the driver and re-enable it). Then the speakers start working again, just to repeat the same process in a few minutes. It's been really annoying. However it works perfectly on headphones, no sound disappearing.

Oh and just to add, the sound in the Control Panel -> Sound shows as playing although there is no sound coming from the speakers.

I tried installing and uninstalling the driver, installing different version of a driver, but to no avail. So far the solution has been to have headphones plugged in all the time, but I'd prefer the sound from my speakers.

Since the sound on headphones works perfectly, I guess it's not a hardware problem. But if it's not a driver problem as well, why don't the speakers work properly on any driver? What should I do?

Drivers are Conexant Smart Audio HD on a Toshiba L755 laptop, using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The problem started showing up few months ago for no apparent reason.

I guess the only thing left is to reinstall the Windows entirely...

PaulSeventy

Estimable
May 12, 2015
I added a Bluetooth speaker....it resolved the problem (but it didn't actually fix the Toshiba speaker inside the laptop). It is a quick solution that works...the Bluetooth speaker never cuts out! Just make sure your computer can do "Bluetooth"...my Windows-7 had it built-in.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
There might be a physical connection problem inside the laptop - between headphone jack and speakers, which causes the soundcard to switch to headphones and thus cutting the audio from your speakers. Do you know if you have any option in your sound card's control panel related to allowing audio through both speakers and headphones at the same time?
If you go the formatting way, install a different edition of Windows your laptop has drivers for and see if anything changes. If the sound never cuts out when you're using your headphones, it might be worth opening the laptop up and checking the speaker cabling. It could be damaged.

rity13

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015

I have the same exact problem. Mine doesn't seem to happen as frequently, but loses sound for long periods of time. It is very Irritating.

seridile92

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015
I had this problem for about three weeks on my Toshiba Satellite L755 laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and Conexant Smart Audio HD drivers, but it now appears to be solved. The trick is to put the computer on hibernate (go to start menu on taskbar, arrow over next to where it says shut down, then pick "Hibernate," the lowest option), then once it is powered off remove the battery and let the computer and battery sit separate for about five to ten minutes, then insert headphones in the jack first, put the battery back in, and turn the computer on while leaving the headphones in the jack. This appears to readjust the sound system to the headphones. You will have to repeat this whole process exactly about three or four more times because at first when you take the headphones out the speakers come back on. I would say to do this once every 24 hours until done. After about the fourth time, I found you can take out and put back in the headphones as you would like and the system should be back to normal. Perhaps the computer needs to be made to reacknowledge the headphones.

Anjava

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
I have Toshiba L755-1MO PSK30E-04U006Y4 ... with Conexant Smartaudio HD , same audio problem . Sound just cut off randomly and turns back the same way as for everyone else . I can turn it back on eaven if i go to sound options and just switch from playback to recording tab not changing anything. I also tried everything from updating driver changing windows to 7 Ultimate Disable all enhancements etc ..everything works for a short period and than it returns again .The new thing i found is " A problem with Conexant audio means that you may hear no sound in Windows 10 even though everything appears to be working correctly. While this is being investigated, Microsoft suggests running msconfig.exe and heading to the Boot tab. Click the Advanced options button, check the Maximum memory box and set the value to 3072." I think that if someone have 8 gb ram maybe you just have to put values to your highest ram memory,I am not sure . I would like someone finaly come with solution for this big problem Thank you all !

Guata08

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

I agree. The problem is slow to happen when just browsing youtube compared to when I run a game. The laptop has poor design for cooling. A cooling pad helps, but it's not always enough.

Niya Ribarova

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

diceguy

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I had the same problem started a few weeks ago. The overheating of the chip is the problem as stated in one of the solutions which requires opening up the laptop and putting a heat sink on the audio chip. My investigation shows that a.) on my L755-S5244 there is a vent just to the right of the Chip located on the front left corner of the laptop. b) when the speakers are on you can feel the heat increasing by placing a few fingers on the left corner of the laptop. Then the sound stops. c.) if a plug in my ear buds the sound comes on and the left corner will cool down.
So. 1.) be sure the bottom vent is clean and extend the front of the laptop over the edge of your table top. This might cure the problem. be sure that the laptop on a hard flat surface. 2.) Just use the ear buds. 3.) Try the heat sink solution provided by the tech guy.

Marcixxxx

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
I have the same problem, but I'm not so convinced that this is an overheating problem.
1st because after bought it, for some years the laptop worked fine.
it is strange that for a lot of people, the problem appears after several years of normal use ...
2nd because if you go to Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Manage audio devices, and leaving this window open, you play a movie or song on an audio software (VLC, vindows media player ...) after a minute the sound disappears, but if you go in the open window (manage audio devices) and click on the registration tab, the sound comes back to a lot of seconds, then when it disappears again, if you click on the recording tab, the sound works again ,. ..and so on.
So maybe it's some sort of driver or software problem.
In my experiences I have used many Toshiba Satellite laptops, but all of them had not Conexant smart audio software that mix between the speaker, the recording input and headphone output.
I wrote to Conexant at this address,
americasupport@conexant.com
but they have not answered me.
They built the speaker and have developed the software, so I think they know the real problem and they know how to fix it (without buying a new laptop ................. .. .....)
I will write again, and again, and again, and maybe if someone else will write, they'll reply, just for not receive more help requests.
I think it is not a nice thing to write many emails, but it's definitely not a good thing to sell faulty hardware and software, and don't worry about solving the problems of so many dissatisfied customers.

Please, if lot of us will write to Conexant, maybe there will be more chances to solve the issue.

Marcixxxx

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Hi.
I've found the solution.
You were right and i was wrong.
The problem is an hardware problem that arise when some automatic update of the software (maybe windows os) are installed.
These update make the Conexant audio chip overwork and the chip reach an high temperature that cause the block of the sound.
As explained by teterinmikhail at this link

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/Toshiba-Satellite-No-Sound-Solved-Hardware-fix-required/td-p/625359

So even if (teorically) Toshiba should repair the laptop also after warranty, i think no one support center will do it; but you can fix it by yourself.

You need:
- a copper plate (you can use also other metal plate, but copper can be cutted easily)
- a Thermal Adhesive (you can found easily on ebay)

You can open the laptop following the instructions showed at the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfSNGRVRHLA

For the Thermal adhesive paste, it depends on the plate you choose.
Yuou can search over internet the best thermal paste to use with the metal plate you choose.
But seems that Artic Silver 5 it's good choice with copper plate.

I must say a big thank to teterinmikhail, that with his curiosity and smarts, has found a solution that can be usefull to lots of people (Toshiba should pay he!!)

Thanks to everyone.
Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.