Soundbars are great but I found this device delivers even better TV audio

Mar 8, 2022
That's exactly what I did. The sound quality from my Sonos Amp and B&W 607 S2 speakers were in a completely different league from my previous Samsung and Bose soundbars and subwoofers. So much so that I've now got a dream of partnering the Bluesound Powernode and a pair of Buchardt S400 MKIIs. Unfortunately my move from Sydney to Ireland resulted in me selling the Sonos and B&Ws and my short term fix (until we buy a house) is the Samsung Q800a soundbar.

Reactions: sonicmustard
May 7, 2022
I have looked through this article a few times and haven't found a link to the Sonos amp mentioned. There are at least 10 links to other products, but I could not find one link to the Sonos amp. If I missed it, please help me locate it. Thanks.

Reactions: Oops!
May 7, 2022
Amazing that a link to Sonos couldn’t be found, because the article appears to be a paid advertisement for Sonos. If the point is that stereo speakers and an amp sound better than sound bars of similar cost, then say so. “Any” speakers? Hard to believe. Little class D Sonos amp sounds better than every other integrated stereo amp for $700? Nope. You could have first made a case for stereo, then tried to make a case for the simplicity of the Sonos amp, comparing it to others. The better speakers you mentioned would have pushed the total cost north of $1000. pretty quickly, and a sub would have pushed the total outlay WAY beyond. Just saying the Sonos amp is a “solution” strains credibility of the review, and I fail to see the point as anything but paid advertising.

May 9, 2022
Little class D Sonos amp sounds better than every other integrated stereo amp for $700? Nope. […] The better speakers you mentioned would have pushed the total cost north of $1000 pretty quickly
My thoughts exactly. It isn’t anything new or unexpected that ANY three channel speaker set-up sounds better than a sound bar. But a sound bar actually saves space when compared to alternative equipment l. Plus, If someone has the money to spend on B&W speakers and doesn’t have the space, why not do in-wall speakers? Then you can get the best sound without compromise.

sonicmustard

Prominent
Mar 9, 2022
I have looked through this article a few times and haven't found a link to the Sonos amp mentioned. There are at least 10 links to other products, but I could not find one link to the Sonos amp. If I missed it, please help me locate it. Thanks.
hi there, there isn't a link to the Sonos Amp as Tom's Guide hasn't reviewed this product on its site. I have one at home though and you can find a link to the model here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp

sonicmustard

Prominent
Mar 9, 2022
My thoughts exactly. It isn’t anything new or unexpected that ANY three channel speaker set-up sounds better than a sound bar. But a sound bar actually saves space when compared to alternative equipment l. Plus, If someone has the money to spend on B&W speakers and doesn’t have the space, why not do in-wall speakers? Then you can get the best sound without compromise.
(y)

sonicmustard

Prominent
Mar 9, 2022
Amazing that a link to Sonos couldn’t be found, because the article appears to be a paid advertisement for Sonos. If the point is that stereo speakers and an amp sound better than sound bars of similar cost, then say so. “Any” speakers? Hard to believe. Little class D Sonos amp sounds better than every other integrated stereo amp for $700? Nope. You could have first made a case for stereo, then tried to make a case for the simplicity of the Sonos amp, comparing it to others. The better speakers you mentioned would have pushed the total cost north of $1000. pretty quickly, and a sub would have pushed the total outlay WAY beyond. Just saying the Sonos amp is a “solution” strains credibility of the review, and I fail to see the point as anything but paid advertising.
Hi there and thanks for your comments. My article is not a paid advertisement and neither is it a review. Tom's Guide hasn't covered the Sonos Amp, and my post is based entirely on my own experience and opinion following my trials at home. I've not suggested that the Sonos Amp is any better than any other stereo integrated at the same price, but I did mention its multiroom flexibility and useful lip sync abilities. I've tried this amp with several passive speaker designs, including Acoustic Energy's (old) Aegis One, Q Acoustics 3020i, Sonus faber Lumina i and the Klipsch R-51PM. All have delivered exceptional stereo performance with TV and movie sound with more natural-sounding dialog, good levels of bass energy and an entirely musical sound and outperform all of the soundbars I've heard so far. There are plenty of soundbars for me still to hear of course, and will continue to enjoy the journey to find one that sound just as good.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022
Hi there and thanks for your comments. My article is not a paid advertisement and neither is it a review. Tom's Guide hasn't covered the Sonos Amp, and my post is based entirely on my own experience and opinion following my trials at home. I've not suggested that the Sonos Amp is any better than any other stereo integrated at the same price, but I did mention its multiroom flexibility and useful lip sync abilities. I've tried this amp with several passive speaker designs, including Acoustic Energy's (old) Aegis One, Q Acoustics 3020i, Sonus faber Lumina i and the Klipsch R-51PM. All have delivered exceptional stereo performance with TV and movie sound with more natural-sounding dialog, good levels of bass energy and an entirely musical sound and outperform all of the soundbars I've heard so far. There are plenty of soundbars for me still to hear of course, and will continue to enjoy the journey to find one that sound just as good.
OK. Thanks for your response. Maybe I misunderstood the point of your comments. Your "...combined price comes out to be around $999..." threw me. I agree that soundbars are a compromise; I just think the Sonos products are also...not necessarily a bad thing, but they charge for the convenience.
Isn't the KlipschR-51PM is a powered speaker?

sonicmustard

Prominent
Mar 9, 2022
OK. Thanks for your response. Maybe I misunderstood the point of your comments. Your "...combined price comes out to be around $999..." threw me. I agree that soundbars are a compromise; I just think the Sonos products are also...not necessarily a bad thing, but they charge for the convenience.
Isn't the KlipschR-51PM is a powered speaker?
Apologies, you're quite right, it is indeed. So many model names to remember... I did mean the R-51M.

Also, I agree of course about Sonos. I was just trying to make point about there being an alternative, compact and flexible solution that gives greater sonics rewards in my view than many soundbars. Sonos isn't the only solution but even so, it's a step in the right direction in terms of over all TV sound quality.

May 10, 2022
Um, I might have stepped into the wrong room at the social club, but I cannot afford a soundbar for that much. That's more than my fricking TV, and I have a 55" Sony Bravia. I have young kids and a mortgage. And priorities. And no trust fund.

May 11, 2022
A soundbar is a sonic compromise so the wife doesn't give you grief about cables. I think an av receiver beats a hifi amp as you can add other channels later. Slimline Marantz NR1711 is about as small as you can get which I would combine either with ceiling speakers, or wall mount b&w M1, both second hand from ebay. Easily under a grand.