Speaker choice for new pc. Advice needed.

Harvey1601

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
I am currently in the process of selecting a set of speakers for my new pc and need help choosing which ones are best I will be using them while gaming and also listening to music and am looking for them to be reasonably loud say enough to fill a bedroom.
My two possible options so far are the Mackie Cr3 and also the Creative gigaworks T40 series ii.
If anyone could tell me which one out of these two would be best or any other possible suggestions that would be great.
Many thanks.

as for powered speakers the mackie cr3 or cr4 would be good. the micca pb42x arent bad either. maudio av40 arent bad but quality control can be hit or miss with them as you could get something good or something not so good (not sure if they fixed QC issues yet). no amp required.

for passive speakers the pioneer bs22, micca mb42 arent bad. you would need an amp for them.

for computer speakers the gigaworks arent terrible. not bassy but clear sounding. generally computer speakers can hold no candle to hifi equipment though. while i did not find the t40 to be bad sounding at all for pc speakers, the cr3 definitely much sounded better when i had the chance to A/B the two in a display.

if you want deep bass you will need a subwoofer.

Harvey1601

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

would you recommend buying powered speakers that also come with a subwoofer? or buy a separate subwoofer?

if going hifi monitors they do not come with subwoofers so that would mean buying a sub. daytons subwoofer lineup is pretty good bang for the price.

most of the powered speakers i'm aware of which come with subwoofers are pc speakers or those general use ones of which many can be questionable on quality. there are of course exceptions like the swan m10 or similar designs from well known companies but standalone speakers and subwoofers are going to be better if space is not at a premium.

of course it is not required to use a subwoofer. in the other room we have a dta-100 amplifier hooked up to a pair of harmon kardon thirty bookshelves (tall boy bookshelf speakers) and they are more than capable on their own. any of the larger bookshelf speakers are capable of decent bass output just not down past a certain point to hit the extreme lows. a pair of klipsch bookshelves or perhaps bs22's would be fine with an amplifier and no sub if you dont require the lowest rumbling bass. my own setup uses satellite sized speaker so a subwoofer is required and much appreciated.