Question Speaker selection ?

Nov 4, 2023
Hi, Am new here so hope I am in the right place. If not I apologize and please remove my question.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5272 with Win 7 and do not know how to turn off the laptop speakers. Currently using a known working headset when plugged into the laptop, I still get the laptop speakers working. They do not shut off when I plug in the headset. Am 84 and not very computer savvy. Would appreciate some guidance please. Thanks Peter

Nov 4, 2023
Look in Control Panel/Sound/Playback and enable/disable to meet your needs.
Good Morning, Thank you for the follow up. Tried that and it did turn off the speakers in the laptop, but when I plug in the headset ther is no sound. I am now wondering if the plug-in for the headset is not working ? peter.

Nov 4, 2023
I am starting to agree with your earlier thoughts, the port itself.

Before we settle that, do you have access to another headset/headphones to test with? Evening external speakers would do the trick.
OK, tried another headset but also nothing. I do need to tell you that the two headsets I tried do not have a "press to talk" feature". I just plug the headset into the laptop port and I detect no kind of noise. peter

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The plug for a headset and regular headphones is different. See here:

A headset usually has a microphone and uses a different plug. From what you are saying, if you disable the speakers, you get no sound from the headset. Correct?

Nov 4, 2023
The plug for a headset and regular headphones is different. See here:

A headset usually has a microphone and uses a different plug. From what you are saying, if you disable the speakers, you get no sound from the headset. Correct?
OK....great info on the headset - regular headphones....thank you, I had no idea.

answer...get no sound from headset info....it looks to me (now !) that I have one "headphonesty" as pictured, but with only 3 seperators
the second headset/phone has two wires, one speaker and one mic and I use a adaptor to which I connect the two wires which the adaptor changes into one "pin" which then I plug into the single port in the laptop. So now I am not quite confused and understand what is going on....I think !
So I am thinking I need to buy a new headset/phone ? Could you advize please Peter

Nov 4, 2023
Do you need to stick to a wired device, or would a wireless one suffice?

Also, what is your primary uses for the headset/headphones?
1) wired or wireless is OK. have not had a wireless one yet

2) listening to music, podcasts of my interests and not disturbing my wife as she watches cooking shows.....!

Nov 4, 2023
Good Morning COLGeek,

Thank you once again for all the info I had no clue about....very grateful for your help...................

So do I owe you anything and where do I send it to ?
Could I contact you if I get stuck again with my computer ?
I am located in North Idaho.
I will be getting the "over the ear" model.

Very Best Regards

Peter