Specific Earphone Shape

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I had Samsung Galaxy S4 Earphones that broke recently, and they are the only earphone that fit comfortably in my ear. Are there any high end earphones that are shaped like them?

Thanks

Solution
by that do you mean these?

$T2eC16Z,!yYFIcDfDUilBSeekuIlvw~~60_35.JPG

if so then there are lots of models which look like that. they are often called "canalphones" but you might find them listed under "earbuds" in online stores since the types of in ears are frequently mislabeled as all being "earbuds" when there are 3 distinct types. if you want to know the difference click "headphones" in my signature and read the "types of headphones" section as it has pictures which are easily understandable.

"canalphones" have a single rubber or silicone tip which forms a seal with the end of your ear canal. they are much more comfortable than "earbuds" which are typically hard...

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Yes I understand, I will try my best to judge them fairly and will let you know how they change over time. I can always send them back if needed.

Of course I will try to give as much detail as possible on how they fair against others I have tried.
BTW do you have paypal? If you do please PM me so I can buy you a beer :)
Thanks

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Ahaha okay :)

Oh man that would be one hell of a night :p

I have offered many beers for various things such as Forum advice, Sheet music, general help and not one has been accepted. One day someone will accept my beer, I promise it's not spiked.

I will let you know how I feel about the 770's tomorrow, I can't wait to try them out on my piano :)

Thanks a bunch

if you were local to me i might just have accepted that beer... but i'm over here in the usa :lol:

europe has some pretty darn good beer. from the uk i like taddcaster porter. from scottland i like belhaven ale. from holland i like grobsh... oh well i could continue on...

yes, do let me know what your thoughts are and how they work out with your o2 amp.

you should test with this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaH1mpODrk its good :)

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Oh well I am grateful anyhow, I would love to live in the US, I hate the people here haha.

Yes it's got variation for just about anyone's tastes here in Europe, I don't drink much beer though as I rarely drink alcohol but still enjoy a Cognac now and then. (I'm a little young to enjoy such things so rarely say so) :p

I will do, I may well play this song as I haven't played it in a while :)

Speak to you tomorrow

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hey I have been using the DT770pro for about a day now and my first impressions are really good, the bass is great and not too overpowering, They are quite hard to drive even through the O2 amp but only use the amp when playing piano. I think I need a Dac though.

I can't say if I prefer this over the M50x as of course I haven't listened to them yet.

Everything is so clear on the DT770 and are okay to drive via my laptop only for watching films etc.
What audio files do you recommend to test these headphones?

Also would an ODAC on it's own be louder than the on board audio?
Thanks I really like these cans, they are quite comfortable :)

a DAC doesnt have an amplifier. all it does is convert digital to analog. this means better clarity than onboard but not greater volume output.

i'm suprised to hear that the o2 amp isnt working with those headphones as it should be able to power the higher impedence headphones fine. the 250ohm dt770 can be a bit hard to drive though without a powerful amp and perhaps the doubleamping you are getting when hooked up to the pc gives you the little extra edge over using the source from the piano (which isnt routed through the pc right?). again, strange that they work fine with your laptop but not with your piano.

i've heard that the schiit magni has a bit more power output so you could look into that and give it a try (but thats more money spent.. and since you already have an amp it seems almost like a waste) or perhaps just downgrade to the 80ohm version which will be much easier to drive. the 80's will be a bit more bassy and slightly less refined but are going to be easier to power.

the audio test files you should be using are ones you will be listening to most frequently of course or your favorite songs. if you want you can use audio test files for some more information on what your cans can handle http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php but what matters most is if the audio types you frequently listen to sound good or not and not the supposed specs of the cans.

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Yes of course but if I try to just plug my Headphones into a line out of the Odac, would the sound be about the same as my laptops volume? because im fine if it is. As I don't want to use the amp when watching movies etc.

My piano is a VST and played on the laptop, and I use a midi controller. the only reason it is quiet is because it's designed to be used with amps as when you set the gain up it crackles. So I have to turn the volume down on the VST and use an amp :/

I think I remember the guy who sold me the O2 that if I unsolder a certain resistor it makes it louder, but setting on the second gain setting made it much better so false alarm :p

I actually really like the headphones as they are comfortable, the only downsides being they are not as loud as I would like, and leak a little sound.

Thanks

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I might actually buy the M50x's today and see how they compare as I don't really have a lightweight portable solution that doesn't require an amp. I will have 30 days to send one back :)

your laptop has a DAC and AMP inside it which allows you to use headphones. the DAC converts the signal and the AMP boosts the power so it will actually drive headphones. the one will not work without the other.

just an odac would be the DAC part only so you would likely hear nothing more than a whisper of sound out of your headphones if anything. they will need to have an amp of some sort if you wanted an external DAC to be used. if you bought the odac you will need to use the o2 with it. that would be more ideal then using the headphone out of your laptop and you may note some quality improvements as well but its not 100% required.

good to hear. i thought that you might be missing something like that.

as far as the volume issue that would have to do with your amp. if your amp is not strong enough it would give you lower volume. is your windows volume set at about 75-80%? how loud do they get with the volume knob high on the amp?

all headphones will leak "some" sound but closed designs just leak less than others. if you think closed headphones leak and if that bothers you then perhaps open cans arent for you as they leak more. (perhaps noting for your future "high end" headphone purchase you spoke of). having the leak though is why open headphones sound so...... well "open" with a wider soundstage and why they can be a bit more clear. they allow the soundwaves to escape instead of having them bounce around and dissipate inside the cups.

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Ahh I see, thanks for explaining, I Didn't realise the Dac would put such a small volume, I actually dont mind having the O2 amp plugged in as it is battery powered and lasts very long, I might either sell the O2 amp and buy the O2+Odac combo which is USB powered I believe. Or just buy the ODAC now and glue it to the top of the O2. Which would still mean I have to charge the battery.

I have looked into other DAC's but none seem to be as transparent as the ODAC and that makes things simpler. I would like the ODAC as I could use it with my Gaming PC as well as my Laptop and also for my Piano Sounds as it is a VST it relies on the PC, CPU and Soundcard.

I think I remember what the guy did when he sold it to me, he changed the design a bit so that the two gain settings were 1.5x and 3.5x as 3.5x is more than enough for most. Where as the JDS Labs version goes 3.5x to 6.5x (6.5x crackles running on battery though)

If I put Windows on 80% and the O2 Gain setting 1.5x 100% then that is as loud as I would dare go, so I haven't touched 3.5x yet. I was just being stupid haha :p

It's leakage isn't as bad as it seems, I think the Velour pads play a big role in the leakage.

If the ODAC makes a whisper of a sound then won't I need to turn the amp up higher?
Also where in the UK can I get an ODAC?. I think either an Odac on top of the O2 or an ODACCombo will be all I need for audio for any computer.

Thanks very much

since the odac outputs are unamped and your headphone output on your computer is already amped..... yes you will need to have your amplifier turned up just a bit higher if you use the odac instead of your headphone jack.

no idea where you can get the odac in uk as i'm not from the uk :)

Jakob789521

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Okay that's fine as haven't hit the 3.5x yet :) It's okay I found a website that sells them, called Epiphany Acoustics. Thanks for all your help, I will definitely keep these and use them old Samsung Galaxy headphones for when I cant be bothered haha :)

These are a great recommendation thanks :)

oh and i just saw that you had a post earlier about potentially getting the m50x for portable use.

thats your choice. sound quality will be a bit less and they may not be quite as comfortable as they beyers but they do fold up nice and are built like tanks so they take the abuse. they also are easy to drive so even a cellphone can power them.

mine have been in several states, at work and home, on airplanes, in a tokyo hotel room and various other locations. they have been good to me despite the abuse i put them through.