Sprint CEO: Expect Palm Pre Shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]sanctoon[/nom]do palm and nintendo share the same marketing team?[/citation]
Maybe.. Clever marketing does get across people. I don't buy new products based on that. I buy them based on reviews. And I think most of us on TH does that but there are many that just follow the hype.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Sounds a bit like the PS3 launch where they only had about 10% the number of units they said they'd have available for purchase so as to generate "sold out" news etc. Honestly, this Palm Pre thing really doesn't seem like a big deal. The consumer only cares if its an iPhone or not.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
of course they will do what nintendo did.

LIE about availability in order to gain sales.

maybe they will walk out every hour at best buy and say "LAST PRE"

I chewed out the best buy manager for doing that with the Wii

he didnt even care....

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Their service, fuser? Depends on the location, as with any other service, where I live verizon is tops and at&t is just crap. I wouldnt buy an iphone based on the complaints we get with the 40 at&t blackberry users at my work. Me being included in that 40. Sprints CUSTOMER service however can lick a donkeys...well you know.

G

"Sprints CUSTOMER service however can lick a donkeys...well you know."

does that mean they have good service or bad? I always thought they had bad customer service...but if they offer that kind of deal...I might rethink my position :)

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
First of all, I have Sprint and it is the best phone service I've ever had and for much less than I was paying with AT&T. The customer service from Sprint used to be horrible, but they have improved immensely over the last 2 years. Secondly, I don't think this is marketing hype at all. I think this is 100% accurate and I plan on getting a Palm Pre on launch day because I know if I don't get one at launch it could be a long time before I'm able to. The WebOS looks like the smartest phone OS I have ever seen and I cannot wait to get my hands on this thing. Also, word of advice, buy stock in Palm.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
@The Schnoz

Sprint is great...until you change your plan. They always seem to mess it up.

Off topic, I live over by the headquarters and I always drop around there. Irony I guess.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]First of all, I have Sprint and it is the best phone service I've ever had and for much less than I was payiAlso, word of advice, buy stock in Palm.[/citation]

I doubt that would be a good idea. Palm's not exactly being well of late and the Palm Pre sounds like a last gamble at success before they call it quits. Honestly, I don't see how this is going to do well, no matter how good the software is. Blackberry dominate the business market and Apple dominates the consumer smart phone market and is growing. There just isn't enough space in the market. My guess is that it'll get some good reviews, some people will buy it, Palm may even play the whole "we can't produce enough for demand" card due to supplying limited stock but in six months time it'll just be a faded memory. Especially with the next gen iPhone looming on the horizon. So, word of advice, don't buy stock in Palm.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Cell phone service quality varies by carrier and location. I live and work in San Diego. My cell phone doesn't work at all in my home and it drops into analog roam in the office. While in analog roam the call quality is very choppy and the battery lasts for about 90 minutes in standby.

My wife has had both AT&T and Verizon, both of which work beautifully in our home.

Status
Not open for further replies.