Sprint Fires Employee for Revealing Evo 4G Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubsbooth

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Well, that'll seal the deal, i'll never purchase anything from Sprint again...because an employee told the truth, based a REAL FACTS (not PR "facts" which are far from true) he/she gets canned. I dont buy into a company that treats their employees like that...fire the entire I.T. staff for even allowing the employee access to such information.[/citation]

If I were to release the specs of the ion thruster I've done some work on over the past several years then I would be held liable for all the damages. Why? Because that information is proprietary to the company that is designing the thruster. Same with the sales numbers for this phone. Do I think what Sprint did is fair? Not really. Did they have a right to do it? Absolutely.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Then if you already knew, why read it and post a comment?[/citation]
Because perhaps (like me) the poster thought there might be some more info about it, rather than just old news regurgitated once again. Seems like Toms now has a really bad rep for doing just that.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]jdubsbooth[/nom]If I were to release the specs of the ion thruster I've done some work on over the past several years then I would be held liable for all the damages. Why? Because that information is proprietary to the company that is designing the thruster. Same with the sales numbers for this phone. Do I think what Sprint did is fair? Not really. Did they have a right to do it? Absolutely.[/citation]
Absolutly this guy needed to be fired and their IT department needs to review who has access to that sort of info to keep this from happening again.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The lesson here is: Don't post sensitive company data from your own machine and create a new account using a new email address. You can't be fired if they can't catch you.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Every time I see someone quote this stuff I imagine the poster to be have a bug-eyed goofy expression, chewing on a bit of straw whilst wearing dungarees, sat on a sofa placed outside on his porch, reminiscing about days gone past where they could wear white hoods and burn crosses at weekend, whilst looking forward to the monster truck show and playing "Oh Suzanna" on the banjo.Racist, inbred, white trash, redneck hillbillies - you are not welcome - if Obama was white he would get anywhere near as much abuse, and if he did it would just be flat aimed at Democrats as a whole instead of him specifically.[/citation]Only marked down -4? Shame, I though there would be a lot more racist, inbred, white trash, redneck hillbillies that would have taken offence.[/citation]
Please don't feed the trolls.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Please don't blame Obama for it raining last Thursday, missing the last bus home, losing your car keys, getting fired from Sprint or any of the other million things that apparently is now the fault of the President.I'll stop when they stop, deal?[/citation]
That's the problem though, they're just looking for attention and any attention (especially negative) just encourages them.

jdubsbooth

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Thank you for explaining trolls to me. I am so glad there is a responsible forum member who can guide us all through the myriad pitfalls of everyday forum faux-pax.BTW, since when was numbers of handset sales classified or protected company information, don't they have to disclose that kind of stuff anyway?[/citation]

Sometimes it makes sense for them to keep it a secret from the public. Bad sales figures might suggest that the product is bad, and discourage people from buying it. Good sales figures, on the other hand, suggest that the product is good or at least popular, and might convince people that they want the product.

I'm not sure, though, if companies are required to disclose their sales information to the public. Regardless, though, this employee did release the numbers without Sprint's consent, so they had a right to fire him. As I said before, I don't think it's fair, but it's something a company is allowed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.