Sprint Risking More Than 20 Billion on iPhone 5 Deal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"Sprint's relatively poor coverage will be its own deterrent"
Yeah, I heard former customers complain about how bad the coverage was.
I also heard that thier customer service sucks but not as bad as AT&T.

I'll stick with T-Mobile until my contract is up...
Then, I'm not sure, I might just renew my contract...

G

Not to bash or anything, but I have to wonder where the article is getting the price that Sprint is paying. I can't imagine that the contract is anything more than a commitment to buy 30 million iPhones. Thus over time the price will drop and they will cost less. Also Sprint will only be paying probably 1/3 to 1/2 the selling price for the phone as well. What will really cost Sprint is the fact that they likely won't sell all the phones they have committed to and by 2014 they will be obsolete and unsellable. As I see it, its not fire and brimstone, but a calculated move by the board to try and form some positive momentum even though it will likely hurt shorter term stock prices.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Having both my personal Evo 4G on Sprint, and a Droid X2 on Verizon paid for by my company, my experience has been that Sprint is better in every aspect than Verizon. Better coverage (especially in basements), better 3G speed, equivalent 4G speed (I actually have seen a peak of 12.1M on Sprint 4G vs. a peak of 9.6M on LTE, but on average they are about the same at around 8-9M), better pricing, unlimited data on Sprint, and even better customer service...though I will admit that the last one there is relative...niether have what I would consider "good" customer service. I, too, am interested to see if Sprint takes on the iPhone 5, whether exclusively or not, and keeps their unlimited plans...but from what I have been told by employees of Sprint, there is no plan to eliminate unlimited data...if anything, the "premium data" add-on price will go up, but that's it. We'll see.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
wow, i'm sorry but this move is just idiotic. it would have been better spent by improving their infrastructure instead of getting a particular brand of phone, which might be banned for sale due to patent infringement. Why don't CEO's look long term anymore?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I sorta think it should be illegal for companies to agree to sell you a product, but only if you buy millions of that product. If they need to write a bunch of custom code for Sprint then I can kind of understand, but that is a ridiculous amount. I personally think there should be laws in place to prevent someone from selling their product to one company but not another. Exclusivity is bad for the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.