Ssd laptopd with sata3

authoratah

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi all,

Do we have a time-frame for Sata 3 laptops with SSDs yet I'm thinking of buying a laptop for college, but I'd love one with an SSD in it. If it also has Sata 3, I'll send you all a postcard from GravyTown :)

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Well it would take a new Intel chipset for msot manufacturers... so whenever Intel releases a mobile chipset that support SATA 6 Gbps. I assume it is the transfer rate you care about, there is no "SATA II" or "SATA 3" standard (ref. serialata.org ). The only issue would be that you would then need to seperately find an SSD (most likely SLC to top SATA 3 Gbps transfer rates) as most manufacturers will not have SLC drives. Given the price of SLC drives I would really not bother, the 6 Gbps interface may be great down the road, but I don't think it is worth much currently ( as opposed to USB 3.0 ports which I would look for).

smtsolder5

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I finally found a mobile chipset that will unleash the speed and bandwidth of an Intel® X25-M Mainstream SATA Solid-State Drive. The mobile Intel® PM55 Express Chipset is part of the mobile Intel® 5 Series Chipset family and is SATA II (3.0GB/s) capable. Now I know what to look for in my next notebook purchase.
( http://www.intel.com/products/note [...] erview.htm )