SSD not re-installing Windows 8/Locked drive

CTurner15

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
I'm trying to re-install Windows 8 on my Asus G46VW. I installed a Crucial SSD on it when I first bought it and installed Windows 8 on it and cleared the 750GB to just use as media storage. I had it running for about 3 weeks with no problem, went on vacation and the first day of vacation, it crashed. I was able to spam F9 on startup and use the Windows automatic repair tools and get it back. Well, about every day I had to repeat the process, usually at night, and most of the time it would work just fine after that. I came home yesterday and I've been trying to reinstall Windows 8 on the SDD for hours and it simply won't let me. I've put Windows 8 on several USB sticks and have tried to boot into them, but continually Windows wants to load the automatic repair. I've ensured about a dozen times that the USB drive is first in the boot order and it still won't let me (I've also disabled quickboot to try to fix the problem.) I even tried Ubuntu on a USB drive and still the same result. I went into the command on the Windows 8 repair section and tried to do a CHKDSK and when I used the List Disk function, only my 750GB HDD (the one that I only use for media storage) is showing. I've also tried refreshing/restoring option, but both times it says that my drive is locked. I've never set a BIOS password for either drive, so I don't know how that could be. So my question is: 1.) What am I doing wrong? 2.) Why isn't my SSD showing under List Disk if that's how the Windows tool is actually running? Any help would be appreciated.

CTurner15

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Okay, a bit of an update: I just removed the SSD entirely (took out the HDD too just for a few minutes so that I could save my vacation pics/videos and migrated them to my desktop) and put just the HDD back in and closed up the laptop again. I just booted back up and it still for some reason wants to go into Windows recovery mode. This HDD (aside from when I bought it with Windows 8 preinstalled) has never had Windows 8. I still can't boot into any of my USB sticks (Windows 7 and 8 and an Ubuntu stick). What could still be the problem?