Stanford Scientists Hope to Hack into Stephen Hawking's Brain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
^ For real?

It's unlikely the majority of users on this site would ever buy a new era cap or ed hardy whatevers.

Go spam somewhere else

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]thomaslompton[/nom]I hate listening to his atheistic crap that is not even based on science. He may be smart, but he is definitely bitter towards God.[/citation]You sound like you're bitter towards atheists.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ROBI_G[/nom]why even bring religion into this? Pointless, he has an opinion let him express it, if you don't like it don't listen to it. Anyway back on topic, how are they going to filter all the different brain functions, surely the machine will pick up stuff like breathing or thinking about being hungry or whatever.[/citation]I don't think it'll pick up many general brain processes or thoughts, so it won't be able to say what he's thinking (besides, how often do you think about breathing?).

What I think it will do is say what he wants it to say in terms of--try to move your left pinky for "A", left ring finger for "B", middle for "C" and so on. And they will map the nerve signals for each letter until a brain function to communicate each consistently is determined. It should actually be pretty simple. And I mean simple in terms of I think they can easily finish it in under a year and it should work reliably.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]boogien8[/nom]Why not find a cure instead for what he has? what a waste of resources[/citation]A couple reasons a cure for M.S./Lou Gerhig's and related diseases isn't the solution these guys are going for:
1) People are trying to cure that and Hawking will be dead of old age before it's cured (he's 70 now).
2) Many cures/solutions/remedies only mitigate deterioration of the myelin sheath. For Hawking, those hopes are long gone for the vast majority of his body.
3) Reliably mapping intentional brain signals isn't a waste of research. I bet there are a bunch of paraplegics and quadriplegics that would agree with me on this point.
4) The researchers probably have engineering type backgrounds more than biology/genetics type backgrounds, so they're helping in the way they can.

eddieseven

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Space is BIG! its very very big. Even bigger than the paltry mind of Mr. Hawkins.
By the time we suss out our situation the sun will have gone out and rendered any such information irrelevant. We ARE stardust and will return to such.
If you what your mind blowing then simply think back to the period of time before you were born.
It's quite easy if your a lunatic but if your a simples human being you may need the assistance of a substance of some description or perhaps if your intelligent a quiet conversation with like minded mates will suffice.
Time did not start with the big bang, Time always existed. Because in order to start ,time must have chosen a moment within itself to start! paradoxes everywhere!

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
stephen hawkings said black holes cant exist, this guy repeatedly says stupid things, to me hawkings is NOT a intelligent man, he a guy that people say is intelligent but NO ONE actually checks what hes says[citation][nom]stuartl[/nom]This will finally prove that Hawking is actually a low functioning retard.[/citation]
thats right hes justa normal persopnm he is FAR FROM SMART

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieseven[/nom]Space is BIG! its very very big. Even bigger than the paltry mind of Mr. Hawkins.By the time we suss out our situation the sun will have gone out and rendered any such information irrelevant. We ARE stardust and will return to such.If you what your mind blowing then simply think back to the period of time before you were born.It's quite easy if your a lunatic but if your a simples human being you may need the assistance of a substance of some description or perhaps if your intelligent a quiet conversation with like minded mates will suffice.Time did not start with the big bang, Time always existed. Because in order to start ,time must have chosen a moment within itself to start! paradoxes everywhere![/citation]I like your end, but your start seems to be missing the relevance in humanity's irrelevance. Consider:

"I think therefore I am."

There is no other absolute certainty. As one can only perceive one one can perceive through some form of sensory perception (or perhaps imagination), then what one can perceive is of absolute importance. Anything that is so absolutely beyond the scope of our existence, such as the full expanse of the Universe may, in fact, be what is irrelevant from a human perspective.

An interesting thing about perception and perspective is the question of whether or not it's possible to be crazy (a lunatic). We could as easily be an idle daydream of a superior being or some advanced simulation or game. The entire world exists, in a sense, only as YOU perceive it (as you cannot be in anyone else's mind) and if you're "crazy", it doesn't necessarily mean that the world you perceive is any less real. But I find it comforting to assume and naively accept that the world of the sane that I assume I'm perceiving is both real and relevant.

But the bottom line is: If it's a fun or engaging topic to ponder, then it's relevant.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
At best, he might be able to think of a few key words that will move a mouse cursor and click. He will be able to communicate then. Something like "knockers=left", "b00bies=right", "woody=up", "sh!t=down", "wanker=click".

Or ...maybe others ...

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]iBrain?Is this another iSilly gadget?[/citation]

Yes! Name was another iDeea from another iMoron who use too much iShit...

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
@dalauder : "I think therefore I am." There is no other absolute certainty." the only certainty you get from that is that defining the method of an object before the object itself fucks up the mind big time... as the object get defined a priori by exigences of the mind. If you dont get it, just try to meet some French people...

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]uruquiora[/nom]yeah ok im bitter towards French people...[/citation]Haha...philosophy kinda breaks itself once you start thinking too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.