Starbucks: Free WiFi for Everyone!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
[citation][nom]Snipergod87[/nom]never been to starbucks..[/citation]

Damn just when I thought there is no intelligent people left on planet earth a light like person shines through the 2010 dark ages.

You must be the luckiest / happiest person alive, keep yourself uninfected. Wish I could say the same.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]Hmmm. So if for some reason I wanted to download The Hurt Locker, I just gotta go to Starbucks.[/citation]
I bet the bandwidth isn't anything to write home about.

G

I find this funny because the wifi is already free at starbucks. Yes you have to register a gift card to get online but you don't ever have to refill it and it doesn't kick you off after 2 hours like they say it will.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I like my coffee like i like my women Cold and bitter
But ya i cant wait to load my laptop with Linux and a Newsreader and log in at starbux see how much i can download and not be kicked off

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]"Starbucks: Free WiFi for Everyone!"or in other words "We're losing so much business to McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts we'll try anything to get you back"Starbucks is heading down the same path as Blockbuster.[/citation]
Remember when they claimed they weren't fast food? Then came the drive-thru at Starbucks. lol. Perhaps they should try serving good coffee.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If only people would go out more and try out the coffee of real baristas instead of endorsing a franchise like starbucks... then maybe coffee would actually gain a bit of respect as an actual beverage amongst the masses :

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hmm... I now have a reason to go to starbucks... If for some reason my internet isn't working and I'm horribly desperate to connect...

Starbucks grossly overprices everything. I don't even drink coffee and I can tell it's a rip-off.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]Hmmm. So if for some reason I wanted to download The Hurt Locker, I just gotta go to Starbucks.[/citation]

You and anyone else with the same idea will saturate those LANs. Nobody will be able to d/l anything of significance.

Also, we are not hearing anything about QOS, service port restrictions, etc.
Imagine if the keep internal and updated DNS services that resolve all the pirate DNS names to ".", then the file sharing folk will get nowhere.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
This could be good, as long as SPI firewall and VPNs are supported. Else, this is a TERRRIBLE IDEA.

-Although I see this keeping the newbs at GeekSquad employed with all the rebuilds necessary due to hacked systems.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]This could be good, as long as SPI firewall and VPNs are supported. Else, this is a TERRRIBLE IDEA.-Although I see this keeping the newbs at GeekSquad employed with all the rebuilds necessary due to hacked systems.[/citation] Yeah.. I had to 'get some information' for my computer security class at the university. I made a script that listens for logged on sessions over WiFi and sets up firefox cookies to spoof them. I was horrified how easy it was and that it worked perfectly. Bottom line: you give access to any account on any site you use to anyone within 100 yards...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Wow I would hyperventilate just saying that. Im simple though I take mine black.[/citation]
Some people just need to get a shirt with "venti iced skinny 2 pump white mocha triple double half caff low fat no foam caramel macchiato with nutmeg, chocolate shavings and sweet n low" printed on it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]Whataburger has free wifi. You can get free wifi at my house too, everyone is invited, pron included, spank away.[/citation]
You want people to show up to your house and masturbate?

G

I may be the only one but I find it pathetic that people go to a coffee shop and instead of enjoying this quality time stolen away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life by sipping their coffee and simply relaxing, they crouch over a computer and continue what they've already been doing all day long (and possibly all night too). It looks like a lot of people would voluntarily choose to live in the Matrix if that were possible.

G

What isn't mentioned in any of Starbucks' PR materials is that the in-store networks are now even more vulnerable to WiFi sniffing and potential malicious attacks. When you don't even need a room key to get into the hotel pool anymore, you can imagine all the riff raff that will have access to the Starbucks hot spots. At least with the old "register your Starbucks card", there was a slight degree of accountability and control over other users on the network. A personal VPN service is the way you can proactively protect your information on any public network (not to keep digging at Starbucks here), and Security Blanket is a perfect example of just such a solution. Shameless plug, I know, but take a look at our site to learn more. We are currently offering a free Beta trial period to users leading up to our full launch this fall. Follow the link to see how you can sign up for the Beta today: www.getsecurityblanket.com/learnmore

Status
Not open for further replies.