Static noise on all headphones on my desktop PC

bokisa12

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
I'm experiencing static noise using all kinds of headphones on my PC.

For example, if I use cheap $3 3.5mm in-ear earbuds and connect them to my PC's 3.5mm jack (on the back of the MOBO, nothing external), the static noise will be pretty loud. If I connect them to the 3.5mm audio jack on my case, it'll be A LOT louder.

If I use higher quality 3.5mm (nothing crazy, $15) in-ear earbuds, the static noise is still present but MUCH quieter, both on the case and on the mobo's 3.5mm jacks.

I also recently picked up a pair of HyperX Cloud Core headphones, which also connect through a 3.5mm jack, and the static noise is A LOT quieter than on those cheap earbuds, but it's still present and pretty annoying since it causes me headaches.

I also tested all mentioned headphones on yet another PC of mine, and the static is also present on that one.

My question is: is this supposed to happen? Is this the case with all cheap in-built audio cards? The static noise isn't there on my phone at all, no matter the headphones? Can I do something to prevent the noise? I'm really inexperienced when it comes to audio, so sorry if this is something very basic.

Solution
Sounds like you may have some sort of contamination inside the audio output jack. With the PC unplugged (from the power supply), try inserting the one of your headphones in there after the probe has been dipped in rubbing alcohol. Insert and take out several times and twist it around. Then remove it and let it air out for several hours before plugging the PC back in.

Not sure about your case, but many people lick their headset jack to minimize static fuzzies, but it actually does more harm over time as residue builds up inhibiting the contact.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Sounds like you may have some sort of contamination inside the audio output jack. With the PC unplugged (from the power supply), try inserting the one of your headphones in there after the probe has been dipped in rubbing alcohol. Insert and take out several times and twist it around. Then remove it and let it air out for several hours before plugging the PC back in.

Not sure about your case, but many people lick their headset jack to minimize static fuzzies, but it actually does more harm over time as residue builds up inhibiting the contact.

Solution

bokisa12

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

Thanks. I'll try the alcohol method as soon as I get enough time. Also I forgot to mention that my MOBO is using ALC1150, which, considering the methods you've mentioned, I don't think makes a difference.