Static on new laptop when plugged in

logond7987

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I bought a new Toshiba P75-A7200 from BestBuy and when the ac adapter is plugged in to the laptop there is a very strong 'static' all over the metal case, next to the keyboard, mousepad and on the metal at the rear of the screen.

I called Toshiba and i'm waiting for them to get back to me with an answer, but this can't be normal right? The display model at the store had slight static, but not as bad as this. The is the 2nd of this model that I have had, the first also had static but also a defective key which was why I returned it.
When the laptops ac adapter is removed the static instantly goes away, then comes back when plugged in again.

Any ideas? Is this harmful to me, the machine in anyway?

Thanks

logond7987

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
To update, i've discovered that when I touch the laptop with one hand I can feel the static. When I touch it with 2, the static goes away, almost like I completed the circuit. Just not sure of the harm, if any, this could do to me or the laptop?

Help!

logond7987

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Update: For anyone that has the 'static' or ac leakage issue, using an ac adapter that has 3 pins will stop this problem. I got a new 120w 3 pin power adapter from Toshiba and all is good now. The Targus model sold at Best Buy also works fine. Hope this helps someone!