Steve Ballmer Trashes Chrome OS, Safari

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Why would you care about market share on a free browser???? It's free to everyone, why are you bickering about this???????? It's Free.............

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
If he wants to trash talk Safari and Chrome that's fine. However don't try to say that your product is any better. IE is by far the worst browser on the market today. It doesn't comply to web standards, its slow, and insecure. At least Chrome sandboxes its processes and Safari is the only browser to be 100% compliant with the W3C.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]I personally don't rly get this browser war : / seems sorta nuts! I just use what works and if there it is 1-4ms slower I rly don't care because it is so insignificant.[/citation]
Totally agree with you there, I mean my internet connection has a chance of slowing down whatever improvement the browser has 10 fold.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]If he wants to trash talk Safari and Chrome that's fine. However don't try to say that your product is any better. IE is by far the worst browser on the market today. It doesn't comply to web standards, its slow, and insecure. At least Chrome sandboxes its processes and Safari is the only browser to be 100% compliant with the W3C.[/citation]

Of course doesn't comply with W3C standards I don't think Microsoft ever did, after all like any other monopoly/near monopoly it wants to define the standard, so that it is first out the door with innovation and everyone else simply follows, never catching up and as a result the Goliath keeps it's market share. It doesn't matter if what you're developing/pushing is inferior to someone else's product, just keep the market share. The same can be said for Manifold GIS (www.manifold.net) vs. ESRI (www.esri.com). Manifold is totally building on CUDA and SMP computing while ESRI is still supporting legacy code from the 80's and 90's (e.g. DOS 11 character file names for RASTER data).

Some are innovators some are just stuck in their own legacy core architecture. When it's too impossibly expensive to redesign from the ground up and support all the installed base you have, newer products written from the ground up to take advantage of new tech are always going to nip at your heels.

justin_honour

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]Totally agree with you there, I mean my internet connection has a chance of slowing down whatever improvement the browser has 10 fold.[/citation]

It's not just about speed here. IE's lack of support for nascent internet technology, standard compliance and javascript performance is holding back developers from coming up with truly innovative services. Also, it's naive to think that javascript performance is secondary to internet connection. Sure the initial load time of javascript code depends on your connection but the performance of web app after load traffic is highly dependent on javascript performance.

A good example of what developers can achieve in a world without IE is the Google Wave project. It officially does not support IE but look at how powerful the web app is! Ars has a good article on this matter:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/guides/2009/09/surfing-the-google-wave.ars

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
seriously WTF! where does the money come from in the browser industry? I mean anyone would think it was a billion dollar industry they way everyone fights over it! It's the same with most of those web2.0 apps "wow they have tones of users using their site, thats a lot of potential money to be made, I value that site a $50 squilion without even seeing its actual earnings!"

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Get Chrome OS for free, and you only have to deal with google ads.

I do like Balmer's Reaction. Instead of pulling an Apple and denying the app on their systems. He instead calls Google Chrome Frame a piece of garbage app.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Funny all the dork computer users here "M$ sucks, bla bla bla". Grow up. IE holds the market share for a reason, same reason Windows does. No one else makes an OS or browser better than MS. I don't know of even one medium sized company that would trust some hack browser like FireFox or Chrome into their networks, let alone some fly by night OS. IE8 is proven to be the most secure browser.

You MS basher kids are the real "noobs" and don't know your head from a hole in the ground. And for you that think IE8 isn't standards compliant, Ok prove it. Show me one compliant built web site that has a problem rendering on IE8...just one and I'll send you $10.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Funny all the dork computer users here "M$ sucks, bla bla bla". Grow up. IE holds the market share for a reason, same reason Windows does.[/citation]
I agree. The reason is that Windows is entrenched and has a monopoly on the desktop. Since IE comes bundled with Windows and most average people don't know or care what a "browser" is, IE is popular for the same reasons that Windows is popular.
I'm not saying Windows isn't good, I'm not saying IE isn't good. I'm saying there are browsers out there doing a better job of bringing people the web today and MS is playing catch-up in that regard.

[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]No one else makes an OS or browser better than MS. I don't know of even one medium sized company that would trust some hack browser like FireFox or Chrome into their networks, let alone some fly by night OS. IE8 is proven to be the most secure browser.[/citation]
Most medium and large business don't use IE8 because it takes a lot to upgrade software company-wide. A lot of them are still stuck with IE6, making up a quarter of the browser marketshare, especially since some of their software depends on the rendering "features" of that specific browser. IE6 is far from "the most secure browser."

G

I use Firefox because of Greasemonkey. IE8 is still my default browser.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I frequently have problems with Firefox 3.5 it has trouble rendering a page if left open too long. I like it but its not flawless. Chrome is quicker its ok. I still have to use IE8 for certain sites. IE8 takes too long to open up but then it's fine. Safari is mediocre on windows. They all have their advantages depending on your needs.

I don't get all the whiny comments. You all get so excited when MS touts its product, whose #1? MS gets blamed for everyone elses mediocre code. YES THEY HAVE THEIR OWN MEDIOCRE CODE TOO. But who gets blamed...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Funny all the dork computer users here "M$ sucks, bla bla bla". Grow up. IE holds the market share for a reason, same reason Windows does. No one else makes an OS or browser better than MS. I don't know of even one medium sized company that would trust some hack browser like FireFox or Chrome into their networks, let alone some fly by night OS. IE8 is proven to be the most secure browser.You MS basher kids are the real "noobs" and don't know your head from a hole in the ground. And for you that think IE8 isn't standards compliant, Ok prove it. Show me one compliant built web site that has a problem rendering on IE8...just one and I'll send you $10.[/citation]
No server wants something like FF or Chrome because they're idiots, or lazy, or both. It's just easier to use the web browser that comes preinstalled, and it's the oney the already know how to troubleshoot and secure.
The problem is, IE isn't as secure as it should be. I actually went from IE to FF because of website combatibility and security.

I can't take a damned thing Ballmer says serious. I miss old Billy.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Balmer is an overpayed my wise and beautiful friend![/citation]

Such intelligent discourse. What has the guy done to you, to make you question his sexuality? lol

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I used to hate MS, but compared to the alternatives, I love them! Play with OSX for a week and you will literally RUN back to Vista. Run any variant of Linux and you will beg for a useful application that is finished. I prefer FireFox for just surfing, but for work over the net, FireFox (is not responding) isn't good enough yet.

G

IE sucks i use chrome, it's way better and more convenient than IE

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
In Google's defense, I'm pretty sure Android is meant for cell phones and handhelds while Chrome OS, whatever it will be, will probably be meant for PCs. I have yet to hear more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.