Steve Jobs Gave Russian President Locked iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Apple can unlock it remotely if they want. Not a problem at all. Whether a phone is locked or not depends on it's status in a database administered by Apple. Either the operator or Apple can change its status from locked to unlocked. Once the status has been changed to unlocked, it will be pushed through to the phone via iTunes.

When you buy an iPhone in Europe, you can buy it unlocked or locked through an operator. Many operators are obliged to unlock the phone after the contract expires or even straight away. They do this by sending in the IMEI # to that database. The phone you buy unlocked already has a status of unlocked in that database.

In principle, AT&T could unlock all their phones if they wanted to. They just don't. If you're a tourist and bring a foreign iPhone to an Apple Retail store and for some reason you have it exchanged due to issued covered by the warranty, you can have Apple unlock that phone as well. They usually only know about this in the bigger stores ie Chicago, San Francisco, where the big tourist crowds show up.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I'm sure the Russian "local talent" can figure it out. They're some of the best.

This reminds me of that time when President Obama presented UK Prime Minister Brown with 25 DVDs of American movies, and they turned out to be Region 1 and not legally usable in the UK.

Maybe the US should pass some laws against DRM and locking and other things like that. All they achieve is embarrassment anyway.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Why would you give him that as opposed to an IPAD2???I guess the iphone 4 is cheaper, and the russian president must visit all the time[/citation]

Uh, maybe because he gave it to him last summer and the iPad2 just came out?

kunjar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
You think Russians cannot unlock this? The best programmers in the world are Soviet Era programmers.

It is probably implemented as a remote trigger for a Super Sonic Nuclear Missile...the design will be replicated and a batch specially manufactured for and sold to China. The USA will continue crying...

mikies

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Typical Apple. Not thinking things through. Making things look great until you use them for a while and then hate them. Unlike other companies, Apple products do one thing well and beyond that they are useless (AT&T phone beyond US territory). Pedestrian thinking and closed minded approach to technology and users continues. Can someone please sync up an iWhatever device with anything else other than iTunes that is openly supported by Apple?

aciaman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]I'm sure the Russian "local talent" can figure it out. They're some of the best.This reminds me of that time when President Obama presented UK Prime Minister Brown with 25 DVDs of American movies, and they turned out to be Region 1 and not legally usable in the UK. Maybe the US should pass some laws against DRM and locking and other things like that. All they achieve is embarrassment anyway.[/citation]

Yah "talent' from hacking and stealing from other countries such as Canada. Russians are nothing but thieves

G

Aciaman ,you are idiot!!!!!I I'm russian and never in my life was stealing anything......Don't judge people by yourself, if u are thief......

Status
Not open for further replies.