Steve Jobs Wanted His Own Cell Carrier for the iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom] When you're a miserable toad, you resent happy people. You resent things they have that you can't swing. You resent success, because it makes your own failures so much more painful by contrast.[/citation]

This is 100% true. Unhappy or negative people are always looking for some crusade to join against something, because they want to bring others down to their level.

This is nothing new and has always happened. It's like the kids at your high school that didn't fit in with anyone, so they tried to spin it as it being their choice to not have friends or socialize, when in reality, they want nothing more than to fit in.

G

Not true on it being illegal to charge for wifi. If you build it you have the right to charge an access fee. look at wifi in hotels, and panera, you pay for it by being in the club, its not free. The wifi he is talking about is not the wifi we have in home he is talking about wifi based on a different standard that can be transmitted miles. this would require FCC approval and licensing as well as apple having to build a national network. Steve jobs new this was impossible since the towers are already owned and placed and he would have to pay the carriers rent to hang the equipment anyway. It’s not surprising he gave up on it, its not a core competency of apple and not within their business model to be a utility provider another point is he did not like rules, and that industry is VERY rules based, again not aligned with Apple philosophy. One thing about guys like him they throw a lot out there and sees what sticks, he had a lot of crazy ideas, then he had the brilliant ones.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Most of these whiners are kiddies that can't get a date, can't afford anything Apple, and have done nothing in their lives so look at respected people with envy. Don't get me wrong, outside of some cool vintage Apple stuff (Apple IIe/IIgs, Lisa, etc...), I would never buy Apple, and never did until long after it was obsolete and thus collectible. But, the market has spoken. Even reviewers recognize the iPhones are good to excellent, and iPad 2 as excellent, and they don't want to. Virtually every article that reports on quality, reports Apple's Macs on the top of the list. Virtually every poll shows Apple customers as happy. When you're a miserable toad, you resent happy people. You resent things they have that you can't swing. You resent success, because it makes your own failures so much more painful by contrast. Apple represents success. The company is wildly successful, and the people that can afford their stuff and mostly successful. For the losers, this makes them feel bad about themselves, and they hate it because of it. Don't let it bother you, these guys will keep posting as long as their utility company doesn't shut off their electricity, but they have no effect. The impotent ravings of the disenfranchised aren't convincing to anyone, except others of the same, who need no convincing.[/citation]

I especially like the stupid accusation of "not being able to afford anything Apple". My gaming rig costs like $1900 by now; I could've easily bought a Mac, but I chose something that actually does useful things for its price.

[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]This is 100% true. Unhappy or negative people are always looking for some crusade to join against something, because they want to bring others down to their level.This is nothing new and has always happened. It's like the kids at your high school that didn't fit in with anyone, so they tried to spin it as it being their choice to not have friends or socialize, when in reality, they want nothing more than to fit in.[/citation]

Another bunch of ridiculous nonsense; the last thing I want is to "fit in" with Apple iSheep :D

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Edit:Not to mention that Wi-Fi is an open standard with specifications designed from IEEE.It would be illegal to take allocated Wi-Fi spectrum and charge money to use it.[/citation]
The spectrum is unused and Wi-FI is a specification not a spectrum :p if someone buys the unused space they can do what they want with it, even now businesses will charge you to use their Wi-Fi networks.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
would people be willing to move to a newly established Apple-branded network for the iPhone?
Well, some people already buy phones with worse cameras, smaller screen, no expandable storage, no removable battery, no 4G and no Flash.
I'm sure the same people would have no problem with a brand new cell carrier with a fruit-based logo.
Of course the next step after this would be to ensure you could only speak to, message, email or post Facebook messages to other iBranded users.
Then after that would be to seal themselves off from the rest of the world in a self-contained colony with Rev Jim Jones and a huge vat of Kool-aid and then God willing they all off themselves.
Amen

G

"However, the question remains, would people be willing to move to a newly established Apple-branded network for the iPhone? "

if that network wasn't called att, verizon, sprint, etc and it ad decent coverage and unlimited data - sure. the bastardos att and similar nickel and dime for text messages, calls abroad ("we have a deal with a local carrier") and other bull sh!t. customer care my behind.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]The spectrum is unused and Wi-FI is a specification not a spectrum if someone buys the unused space they can do what they want with it, even now businesses will charge you to use their Wi-Fi networks.[/citation]

Do you know how Wi-Fi works?
Wi-Fi is an unlicensed standard created by IEEE. Apple can't license the use to use the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands to create a network that covers the entire US. You realize the typical range of a Wi-Fi and how many hotspots or nodes would need to be created to reach the entire US?

If Apple planned on charging money for this, they couldn't just tap onto free unlicensed hotspots.

"The segment of the radio frequency spectrum used by 802.11 varies between countries. In the US, 802.11a and 802.11g devices may be operated without a license, as allowed in Part 15 of the FCC Rules and Regulations. Frequencies used by channels one through six of 802.11b and 802.11g fall within the 2.4 GHz amateur radio band. Licensed amateur radio operators may operate 802.11b/g devices under Part 97 of the FCC Rules and Regulations, allowing increased power output but not commercial content or encryption."

Businesses don't charge you for using their mobile hotspots. Their Wi-Fi networks come from them creating a mobile network (similiar to how a personal home network would work) by using your internet provided by your ISP.

Businesses can't not provide a Wireless network for use for commercial purposes.

G

Well, some people already buy phones with worse cameras, smaller screen, no expandable storage, no removable battery, no 4G and no Flash.

- droid phones run like crap nuff said ..people want apple because of the quality not quantity

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]Steve Job actually wanted its own Country for his Apple eco-system. I'm sure most the Apple fans would follow him.[/citation]
I wish they would follow him
Right to an early grave

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I especially like the stupid accusation of "not being able to afford anything Apple". My gaming rig costs like $1900 by now; I could've easily bought a Mac, but I chose something that actually does useful things for its price.Another bunch of ridiculous nonsense; the last thing I want is to "fit in" with Apple iSheep[/citation]

You can act like you're anything you want on the internet, but the only people that hate so much are losers who have pain, and blame someone else for it. It's one thing to say Apple isn't for me, it's another to say someone should be dead because you don't like what they sell. That's a loser that's bitter because he hates the winner because of the way the winner makes him feel.

You're a complete follower, and the funny thing is, you call them iSheep. You're a Microsoft Zombie, who can't think for himself, wants to fit into the crowd, and gets off on insulting a company that never made him or her buy anything. Your comments are the same as virtually everyone's here; the voice of the embittered poor and losers .

Stop being a head of cattle. Allow that people have a right to make a choice you don't agree with. The world will be fine without you making everyone's decision for them, I swear it. Apple offers choices, creates new markets, and sets a standard that even you benefit from. Cry and whine all you want that people buy their stuff even though you don't think they should. You sound like a self-important kid. When you grow up, and are happy that people have choices, and respect they don't always agree with yours, you might be able to find a place of your own, and make enough money to afford a new Apple product, if you wish. Until then, you'll just be just another head of cattle, spitting out bile. Like everyone else. Talk about sheep...

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I especially like the stupid accusation of "not being able to afford anything Apple". My gaming rig costs like $1900 by now; I could've easily bought a Mac, but I chose something that actually does useful things for its price.Another bunch of ridiculous nonsense; the last thing I want is to "fit in" with Apple iSheep[/citation]

"Does useful things" means $1,900 video game console? To each his or her own. Personally, I think that a product's value is contingent with user satisfaction and not a MHz number.

And my comment about people wanting to fit in had nothing to do with with technology, but just unhappy people in general. No idea why you spun that the way you did.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]You can act like you're anything you want on the internet, but the only people that hate so much are losers who have pain, and blame someone else for it. It's one thing to say Apple isn't for me, it's another to say someone should be dead because you don't like what they sell. That's a loser that's bitter because he hates the winner because of the way the winner makes him feel.You're a complete follower, and the funny thing is, you call them iSheep. You're a Microsoft Zombie, who can't think for himself, wants to fit into the crowd, and gets off on insulting a company that never made him or her buy anything. Your comments are the same as virtually everyone's here; the voice of the embittered poor and losers . Stop being a head of cattle. Allow that people have a right to make a choice you don't agree with. The world will be fine without you making everyone's decision for them, I swear it. Apple offers choices, creates new markets, and sets a standard that even you benefit from. Cry and whine all you want that people buy their stuff even though you don't think they should. You sound like a self-important kid. When you grow up, and are happy that people have choices, and respect they don't always agree with yours, you might be able to find a place of your own, and make enough money to afford a new Apple product, if you wish. Until then, you'll just be just another head of cattle, spitting out bile. Like everyone else. Talk about sheep...[/citation]
He feels sorry for you, you garner his pity, you could have used that money to buy something that would do much more and with the money you save taken the kids to Disneyland.
I don't feel sorry for anyone, if you choose Apple it's a free world and you go ahead and do it, but don't try to convince anyone that you buy a Macbook or OSX because it is better than an equivalently priced PC laptop with Window because it isn't.
I have a friend who bought the crappest car ever with shitty gas mileage, tendancy have the engine break down at the first gust of wind and seats that only the elephant man would find comfy but they bought it because it was an expensive red sports car that makes him look cool. I envy him for that first 5 seconds as he races away, knowing I saved a bundle on my car which goes just as fast, but uses half the gas, never breaks down and is really big and comfy.
So Apple fans, just admit you bought Apple because you think it looks cool, it is just as valid a reason and probably the most honest answer you will ever give. The iPhone does make you look cool, if Fonzy had a smartphone it would be an iPhone too. But is it better? It's not me you are lying to, it's yourself.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Your comments are the same as virtually everyone's here; the voice of the embittered poor and losers. Apple offers choices, creates new markets, and sets a standard that even you benefit from. Cry and whine all you want that people buy their stuff even though you don't think they should. You sound like a self-important kid. When you grow up, and are happy that people have choices, and respect they don't always agree with yours, you might be able to find a place of your own, and make enough money to afford a new Apple product, if you wish. Until then, you'll just be just another head of cattle, spitting out bile. Like everyone else. Talk about sheep...[/citation]
Yeah, the Apple hate here is silly, and I am not really sure why people are so upset over toys. Children whine over toys, which leads me to believe there are a lot of them on this site.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So Apple fans, just admit you bought Apple because you think it looks cool, it is just as valid a reason and probably the most honest answer you will ever give. The iPhone does make you look cool, if Fonzy had a smartphone it would be an iPhone too. But is it better? It's not me you are lying to, it's yourself.[/citation]

Because it is totally impossible that someone would want one for the OS and software? Don't be ridiculous.

Why bother acting like you "don't care if someone buys an Apple product" when you just turn around in the same post and post some elitist crap like you did here? If you are going to be a troll (which you are) then just be a troll and spare us the dog and pony show. You like getting 300fps in console port games, while a Mac guy likes having Garageband and whatever else. What you intend to do with the product dictates which is "better" for you, but in reality, either one is a great choice for the majority of users.

I don't get why PC / Android guys rage so hard...

G

Almost every person who posted here is an idiot. It shows in at least half of the posts via spelling and grammar mistakes. It also shows via the crude and aggressive responses. It's very apparent that nearly nobody who bothered to make a comment here has an open mind. A bunch of trolls is what you all are.

Status
Not open for further replies.