Still trying to look for a laptop for school and medium gaming

The_Yeti

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
1. What is your budget?

$800 Canadian

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

"15.6, since that's a common size

3. What screen resolution do you want?

HD would be nice.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Semi-portable, I won't be using at other places much.

5. How much battery life do you need?

4 hours or more please!

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Minecraft, Terraria and anything around that range of demands.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Browsing the internet and Microsoft Word.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500GB's could be luxurious ( I'm using 200GB's right now)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Newegg.ca, Amazon.ca basically any Canadian sites.
( prefer not use Amazon since they charge $100+ to ship here, while others cost $15.99)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 Years would be nice...

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

SDHC, SD, USB ports obviously any extra would be nice...

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I honestly don't care...

13. What country do you live in?

Canada!

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Fine with refurbished

Aluminium outsides are a plus and indulgence

Durability please

No extreme gaming laptops

Thanks! ~The_Yeti

Solution
This would be my number-one pick. It's a pretty affordable laptop that fits into your budget, even with HST included (as a fellow Canadian, I took this into consideration). The A10-8700P is a great jack-of-all-trades APU, and it should be able to fly through all of the tasks you mentioned with absolutely no problems. MineCraft and Terraria should be a breeze with the R7 M360...and it could probably keep up with some more demanding titles...although you may have to turn down the graphics quality a bit. It has 500GB of hard disk space, which is nothing to brag about, but should get the job done. It has an HD screen, but it's not 1080p or anything, but it should be fine.

This is also a great option if you don't mind not being...

Chaos Sorcerer

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
This would be my number-one pick. It's a pretty affordable laptop that fits into your budget, even with HST included (as a fellow Canadian, I took this into consideration). The A10-8700P is a great jack-of-all-trades APU, and it should be able to fly through all of the tasks you mentioned with absolutely no problems. MineCraft and Terraria should be a breeze with the R7 M360...and it could probably keep up with some more demanding titles...although you may have to turn down the graphics quality a bit. It has 500GB of hard disk space, which is nothing to brag about, but should get the job done. It has an HD screen, but it's not 1080p or anything, but it should be fine.

This is also a great option if you don't mind not being able to play moderately demanding games. The integrated graphics should be fine for MineCraft and Terraria (maybe even some MMOs), but don't try playing Star Wars Battlefront. The 1440p screen is gorgeous and the laptop is overall a super-portable, well-built machine. If you care more about portability than performance, this laptop should be fantastic.

I'll give you two options for more CPU power: this and this. They both have i7-5500U, which should be welcome if you're looking to do some CPU-heavier work on the laptop. The integrated graphics on the Asus should be fine for MineCraft and LoL, but don't try Black Ops III on this. The Lenovo is $100 extra, but it has a full-HD screen and an R7 M360 GPU, which should be better than the integrated graphics. Lenovo's keyboard is also probably a little better.

If you don't mind paying up a bit more for more horsepower, the MSI GP60 Leopard is still an excellent choice. I wouldn't recommend it for what you're doing, but the 940M is a fairly capable GPU that should give you more frames and texture quality in MineCraft than any of the other laptops.

And...if you can go over your budget a little, the Lenovo Y50 would be a fantastic choice. It's a last-gen product, but it features a much more powerful i7-4700HQ CPU and a GTX 860M that absolutely destroys any other machine on this list. The 860M is a rock-solid option if you plan on pushing some great games at 1080p. It also looks better than any of the other ones.

Hope that helped!

Solution

The_Yeti

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015

I can't seem to open the links... But found them through the mailto URL's!

Thanks, Chaos Sorcerer!