Stop Smoking with Nintendo Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
just another attempt to make money off the people who the tobacco company/government are already taking money from. i bet that the tobacco company funds this Wiiapp, to get people to stop smoking, while the Wiiapp funds the tobacco company to get people to start smoking, or take up smoking again, just so they can both live happily with their billions of dollars of "blood" money :)

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
I wish there was more info in how it could actually help stop smoking rather than explain game features, but then there's other gaming focused websites for that. :)

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Didn't think Japan had a smoking problem. Last I heard it was illegal in Japan for minors to smoke in public, and no one is allowed to walk and smoke at the same time!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]And why do I feel that the wii is slowly venturing away from actual video-gaming...[/citation]

It is a WiiWare App. Akin to saying Microsoft is slowly venturing away from actual video-gaming because they offer netflix streaming. Just doesn't make any sense. I get that you don't like the Wii because it doesn't appeal to "hard core" gamers who care only about graphics and not game play but try turning down the dial. Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii with Wii Motion Plus is exponentially more fun than Tiger Woods on the 360 even with the shiny graphics.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I smoked for almost 15 years and quit back in 2003. I can tell you that I only know of one way to quit and that's cold turkey. No dumb ass game is going to help you. You started it yourself and you must quit yourself. I have never known anyone to quit any other way successfully. Stop looking for the easy fix in life and man up already!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I have a coworker who quit smoking, and switched to the gum. Something like 5 years later, he still chews nicotine gum. That's just how addictive nicotine is, and you just can't quit a drug like that by weening yourself off. I only smoked for 5-6 years, but when I quit it was cold turkey.

I found it helped to choose a lower stress period for the initial detox (like a long weekend), and to get to the GYM to help curb some of the increased anxiety, emotion, and increased appetite.

It my general opinion, that Help Forums, Websites, the Patch, the Gum, and now this silly game are all just delaying people from getting down to the dirty business of actually QUITTING. Which is pretty much all on the individual, and involves NOT putting cigs in your mouth anymore. Complicated stuff, right?

JumpKickJoe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I could see someone with a cig in their mouth, puffing away, playing this trying to figure out how to beat last boss.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a attachment... Heck we might even see a WiiWare for alcoholics!

G

i quit smoking w/ the nicotine patch and many other smokers used other techniquest that didnt involve cold turkey, u guys pushing cold turkey need to recognize that there ARE ways that help ppl. just because it worked for u doesnt mean it'll work for everyone.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
pooh,
Physical withdrawl from nicotine only lasts about 2 weeks, with the first 48 hours being the worst part. While most agree that Withdrawl from smoking lasts much longer (lets say 3-6 months), after the first couple weeks you're dealing with Mental and Emotional addiction.

I think its pointless to drag on the physical withdraw for a longer period. Its not that hard to get through 2 weeks without lighting a cig. The really hard part, though, is getting through the mental end emotional withdrawl... to which, if having a nicotine patch or gum helps, OK... but it doesn't make that much sense to me.

G

I stopped smoking 6 weeks ago, it's costing me a fortune in wii's though, I'm up to 10 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.