Solved! Strange internet issues

Colm_3

Estimable
Jul 20, 2016
The wifi connection on my laptop has been painfully slow for the past couple of days. I have narrowed it down to a problem with my laptop. It works fine on my phone and other devices. I've restarted and resetted my router. I updated the appropriate drivers. I've used Rogue Killer to scan for malware, deleted some but it made no difference. My computer can detect no problems with my connection. Here is a screenshot of a speedtest . Ookla says I'm getting 8mb (which is one of the faster tests I've done, it's usually around 2-3mb, and sometimes the tests don't work at all) but my laptop says I'm getting much faster than that. But webpages are taking an age to load and video calling (which I have to do for work) has become impossible.
The problems started this week. Is restoring Windows to a previous state an option or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance

Solution
This is a classic worm thing. Slows down Internet, then slows down PC and lastly slows the whole Router.

But don't worry, here is how to fix.

First, disconnect your PC and your router to protect your other devices.
Second, download Malwarebytes and run an Advanced scan.

While it is doing it's job, check your browser extensions. If it has something you don't know, Delete it immediately.
and test the Browser again. Same issue? delete the browser and reinstall it.

If these don't work you can do what you said "restoring Windows to a previous state ".

Thanks. Also please reply if these doesn't work so I can help you. 🧀

reestrelax

Estimable
May 8, 2020
This is a classic worm thing. Slows down Internet, then slows down PC and lastly slows the whole Router.

But don't worry, here is how to fix.

First, disconnect your PC and your router to protect your other devices.
Second, download Malwarebytes and run an Advanced scan.

While it is doing it's job, check your browser extensions. If it has something you don't know, Delete it immediately.
and test the Browser again. Same issue? delete the browser and reinstall it.

If these don't work you can do what you said "restoring Windows to a previous state ".

Thanks. Also please reply if these doesn't work so I can help you. 🧀

Solution