Student Makes $50,000 Jailbreaking iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
i don't see the problem here

not everyone has the time or knowledge to jailbreak their devices - even if all the instructions are easily obtained. if my time was important, I'd rather pay someone else do it for me

in a perfect world though, the kid should throw some money at the dev's direction........

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]i don't see the problem herenot everyone has the time or knowledge to jailbreak their devices - even if all the instructions are easily obtained. if my time was important, I'd rather pay someone else do it for mein a perfect world though, the kid should throw some money at the dev's direction........[/citation]

[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]Let's hear it for free enterprise.[/citation]

If people are too STUPID to follow the simple directions of today's gui jail break software more power to HIM!....and Yes I do think he should donate to the DEV groups

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Why not do it for android, so many people will be wanting 2.3 when released. all those phones sony forgot stuck on 1.6 or 2.1........

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Too bad you can't plus one comments anymore. But I agree with all above. People aren't paying for the software they are paying for his time and effort. He should kick some to the devs for making it possible. But then again maybe he has thrown some their way. I would do it around the tune of $1 per phone broken. It's small but at 40 a week that's $160/month.

G

I bricked my damn iphone once after updating to an iOS that wasnt officially supported by the jailbreak. You see, on the dev-team homepage it said that my version was supported, but buried deep in the find print was a clause stating "but only if you do this first". I missed that part and simply assumed the huge ass bold letters saying a jailbreak was available meant I could upgrade the phone. It actually turned out to be a blessing however, since I was forced to go to android to get a working phone again and have never once looked back at apples crap.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]If people are too STUPID to follow the simple directions of today's gui jail break software more power to HIM!....and Yes I do think he should donate to the DEV groups[/citation]
If people are too ANGRY is follow simple decorum, maybe they shouldn't post comments.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]If people are too ANGRY is follow simple decorum, maybe they shouldn't post comments.[/citation]
Who is angry???

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Ok, hes making $50,000 a year on it and average week is 35 "customers"......so hes charging like $30 per. Hey, if I had the skills and people are to lazy/stupid to do it themselves then hell yes I would charge them $30 per as a stupidity/lazyness fee!
More power to him, now as far as the dev team, I feel for them but duuh, you put it out there, someone is bound to abuse it!

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]If people are too ANGRY is follow simple decorum, maybe they shouldn't post comments.[/citation]

U mad bro?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
to be honested if i didnt have the time i would quite happily pay $30 for someone to jailbreak my phone

a lot of people strugle to use microsoft office, how are these people suposed to jailbreak there phones

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Even though the Dev team puts a lot of effort into the jailbreaks and puts out tutorials, sometimes for the average joes, it is too difficult to follow. So people like Kevin Lee make it easier for such people and charges a fee to do it.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Donating a few percent of his profits back to the dev teams might ensure his business lasts throughout the future generations of iPhones and not just the current gen hardware.

I'm all for his entrepreneurship, but this wouldn't be possible without the free software he's using to jailbreak the phones, its his own decision but donating even $1000 (2%) of his $50000 of earnings would go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.