Study: CFL Lightbulbs About as Efficient as LEDs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I redid my kitchen and put in 10 CFLs rated for 8000 hours. These replaced a drop ceiling that had some "old fashioned" floriecent lights that I had to replace once in 20 years. After 1 year, half of the CFLs died.

toms-viewer-1996

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]shrex[/nom]Why cant they be used for the home then, i have never seen any available[/citation]

There are some available online, but they're very expensive. $35 per CCFL bulb compared to $2 per CFL bulb. I think this is because the cost of the electronic ballast, since Cold cathode bulbs need a more complex power supply.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
B.S. this research is flawed. They did not run the LED for 1041 days or 25,000 hours. They don't even consider the fact that most modern Cree XLamp, SSC P7 or Ledengin LEDs have a 90% lumen maintenance of 75000 hours or more. LED's are better and hold output WAY longer than a CFL or filament light bulb. Once they reach higher lumen output and increase efficiency these will be DIRT cheap and green.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
[citation][nom]Torment[/nom]Do me a favor: stick your left index finger in the left hole and your right index finger in the right hole. Get back to me on how harmless low frequency a/c is.[/citation]

Used to have a cut power cord to a radio, I'd hold one end, a chain of other people would hold the other and we'd take turns poking (or grabing and holding on to) each other to complete the circuit. 110 AC isn't that bad, feels kinda buzzy. :>

Torment

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]bounty[/nom]Used to have a cut power cord to a radio, I'd hold one end, a chain of other people would hold the other and we'd take turns poking (or grabing and holding on to) each other to complete the circuit. 110 AC isn't that bad, feels kinda buzzy. :>[/citation]

Again, stick your left index finger in the left hole and your right index finger in the right hole. Get back to me on how harmless low frequency a/c is.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
In the winter, I honestly don't care how efficient the lighting source is. I'm already spending money on electricity to heat the house. If the lightbulb puts out heat too, all the better.
In the summer, I do use fluorescent bulbs in places I don't spend lots of time, like the basement and laundry room and hallways, as they do generate less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.