Study: No Decline in Illegal Downloading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]buddhav1[/nom]you mean a real republic like China's?[/citation]
Republic = senate

every day you can learn something

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I'm not sure how easy it is in the U.S. either. Whenever our DVR somehow fails to record one of our favorite TV programs, we'll hit up CBS or NBC's website in attempt to watch the program online. It's not very easy to even find the right link to click. And 90% of what's there is 2 minute teaser clips of the show.And trying to use Microsoft's latest Media Center built into Windows 7 isn't any better. Again, 90% of what's there is 2 minute clips, even though Microsoft dubs the program as being able to allow you to watch your favorite shows by the web.I will say, as far as TV/Movie/Music downloads go. I'm not a fan of buying digital downloads. Without a hard copy (CD/DVD), once you lose your original file, how can you PROVE later that you "OWN" a license. Ten years from now are they really going to have some record under your username that you "purchased" a copy of this song, or that song?This is why I don't use Steam to purchase games. If Steam ever shuts down, you no longer own those games.[/citation]

But if you buy games on discs these days, the copy protection makes it hard/impossible to backup (nor you are allowed to legally do so) so if the disc gets lost or damaged, you won't get a replacement or an opportunity to download it. Once the disc is gone, so is the money you spent on it.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
the truth is the industires involved have reacted in teh wrong way to boilster peopel's opinions of them . as soem one stated , book publishers wish they could do away with the right to resell books ,game companies and music companies are working on this for games as well by circumventing laws , via securom , safedisk , starforce, TAGS, and other install/listen limit based drms. i woul;dnt put it past the movie industry to try teh same with blue rays and dvd's and none of these companeis care to work with consumers to come up with a pleasing compromise. personally i think drm's would be fine .. if these limited instal versions , costed considerably less that full price, i would not mind only gettign 3-5 installs , if the game only costed me 19 bucks instead of 59, or even beter make it 5 dollars an install perhaps ? so you buy teh game for 5 bucks to get one install with an easy option to buy more installs that might "work" for many consumers, the game indsutry could offer an unlimited install version for the regular 59 dollar price point then.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I pirate. I also happen to actually enjoy some of the games and movies I pirate, so I shell out the cash and buy original copies to support developers.

I don't think I'm harming the industry in any way, considering the fact that most cases are like mine and that even with most of the gamers playing hacked copies they still make an obscenely large amount of money.

I would stop pirating altogether if they didn't charger outrageously high prices, considering the state of the economy (and where I live it is really bad) they would actually sell more if they charged 10 dollars.

Just see what happens on Steam, every week they have at least two discounts to games and when it happens those games sell a lot.

Why should those ridiculous prices when they don't give if they sell it at $60 or $15? The pioneer that sells a hyped game at $15 bucks will own the PC market, not because the game is good, but because the bang for the buck can't be beaten.

G

The MPAA/RIAA and all of these other crooked, greedy bastards have milked the cows udders for too long. It is time they realize that the more they push the more the piracy groups will shove, and soon, the shove will become a complete knockdown. They need to learn that BUSINESS should FEAR the CUSTOMERS, not the CUSTOMERS fear the business. Right now, they seem to think WE need to fear them.
The business HAS to satisfy the customers, till that occurs, piracy will increase and they can file suits left and right, it'll only help the piracy.

It is an uphill battle they cannot win, specially considering all the false information they spew left and right. I only wish the information on how much money they're loosing from all the piracy was true, so I could watch them starve to death. Because after them suing people for HUNDREDS of times the "damages" supposedly caused from pirating a few songs (through courts that they have bought out and laws they have $lobbyed$ for), they deserve worse even. The punishment's are always absolute exaggerations and do not fit the crimes. Per the standards for punishment these industries are trying to push around, an 8 yr old entering a local convenience store and stealing a 5 cent gumball should land him in jail for 10-15 years, that cannot be.

Right now as it stands, they have absolutely no way of knowing if Jane Doe pirated an album, whether they REALLY are loosing any money at all, they just force everyone to assume that they are even though maybe Jane Doe's listening to it to see if its any good and might never listen to it again after realizing the first song is ok and the rest SUCK. They want us to shell out the dough for their CRAP whether we like it or not. After Jane Doe gets caught for her ONE album, the damages they force their way to collecting are always, as I said above, absolute exaggerations of the actual damages caused.
Any judge that rules in favor of these greedy animals is DISHONORABLE and shouldn't be a judge.

G

I love the fact that this article considers Newsgroups to be a new method of downloading stuff and that P2P is #1.

Newsgroups has been in use for years, way longer than P2P and before Newsgroups there was FidoNet.

Newsgroups has always been a major method of getting what ever you want. While there might be only so many people who upload stuff, there are millions more who download that same stuff via the newsgroups.

Such tools as NewsBin Pro, Forté Agent, NewsLeecher, GrabIt and others are used to find and download the files from the binary groups.

But to do this, you really need to subscribe to a premium news service such as EasyNews, GigaNews, PowerUsenet, AstraWeb, NewsHosting or SuperNews.

There are other premium news servers out there, but you need to watch out for resellers as they are not always able to give you the service they promise. SuperNews is one of those resellers.

These days there is a lot more to learn about using Newsgroups than there used to be years ago, but it can be a very rewarding experience once you learn the ropes and once you learn what groups have what ever you are most interested in.

With such a tool as NewsBin Pro and a premium news service, you can download how ever much your connection and account status allows for.

G

I cannot even imagine how it would be like to even considering being paranoid when downloading pirated stuff.
Megaupload, Rapidshare, Mediafire.. Torrents, sitcom streaming, etc. And nobody can do SHI T about it. There is no way that Im paying to watch something that I can get for free in less than 2 minutes.
It just doesnt make sense.
Really, it sucks to be you guys.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation]What you people want is not democracy or republic but rights. [/citation]

What I want is Anarchy...plain and simple...

or maybe I just want a steak from Outback? No Rules, Just Right...? mmmm... steeeaakk....

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I'm not sure how easy it is in the U.S. either. Whenever our DVR somehow fails to record one of our favorite TV programs, we'll hit up CBS or NBC's website in attempt to watch the program online. It's not very easy to even find the right link to click. And 90% of what's there is 2 minute teaser clips of the show.And trying to use Microsoft's latest Media Center built into Windows 7 isn't any better. Again, 90% of what's there is 2 minute clips, even though Microsoft dubs the program as being able to allow you to watch your favorite shows by the web.I will say, as far as TV/Movie/Music downloads go. I'm not a fan of buying digital downloads. Without a hard copy (CD/DVD), once you lose your original file, how can you PROVE later that you "OWN" a license. Ten years from now are they really going to have some record under your username that you "purchased" a copy of this song, or that song?This is why I don't use Steam to purchase games. If Steam ever shuts down, you no longer own those games.[/citation]

Regarding this, I have downloaded countless movies, quality more or less, and still haven't experiences any repercussions for it.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I cannot even imagine how it would be like to even considering being paranoid when downloading pirated stuff.
Megaupload, Rapidshare, Mediafire.. Torrents, sitcom streaming, etc. And nobody can do SHI T about it. There is no way that Im paying to watch something that I can get for free in less than 2 minutes.
It just doesnt make sense.
Really, it sucks to be you guys.

Argentina hit the nail right on the head.

This is the primary reason why people pirate.

In life, we want as much as we can while doing as little as possible. We're born selfish. We learn to be magnanimous growing up, coming up with coping mechanisms that allow us to get what we want without getting in the way of others (but, of course, some people never learn this).

Despite the learned behaviors during childhood, if we can get what we want with little effort and little consequence, we do it. If a Wal-Mart had no security and no legal recourse for shoplifters, shoplifting will most likely increase for that particular Wal-Mart.

The Internet is not a democracy or republic. It's an anarchy. It's the wild wild west. Nobody governs or controls the Internet, aside from certain rules for domain names and whatnot. Aside from that, anyone with a web server and enough bandwidth can make a presence.

To add to that, data can be duplicated quite easily. Physical property can't be duplicated without tools, materials, and knowledge on how to do so.

If physical property could be duplicated easily, I'm sure many companies would hire their equivalent of the RIAA, MPAA, or ESA to bully people as well. "Hey, I like that Ferrari! "CTRL-C + CTRL-V = I now own a Ferrari!" How about "DRM" in that Ferrari? How about a site to rip the DRM out of a Ferrari so it can be cloned again?

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
With all that above being said, every other reason is secondary (not necessarily "false," just secondary). This includes, but is not limited to:

1) Intrusive DRM (or DRM in general). Granted it's a pain in the rear, DRM is a result of simple cause and effect. Piracy is the cause, DRM is the effect. Although some do reverse the cause and effect and use it as justification. Granted the more intrusive DRM methods (i.e.: Starforce in the past, SecuROM now) become a major inconvenience, and often the pirated versions of items lack such inconvenience, this does become a case of vice versa...

2) Backup copy because of kid/animal/etc. damaging original copy. This is okay (it has happened. A lot), but what about going beyond that and leaking it out to the net and/or downloading from the net? The only reason I can think of to do that to satisfy #2 is if #1 is involved, and even then it often becomes more of a convenient excuse than a primary means of motivation.

3) Sticking it to a company with de facto negative business ethics. The best way to stick it to them is to not even indulge in their product, not pirate it! By pirating it, you show that you do like their product to some degree...

4) Not being able to afford said product. Hey, we make a lot of sacrifices to buy things we want and need. Hell, some people sacrifice their utility bills for a World of Warcraft subscription! Again, this is another secondary reason.

tsnor

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]This is why I don't use Steam to purchase games. If Steam ever shuts down, you no longer own those games.[/citation]

Even with Disk Dr, the kids used to lose most games within 6 months, most games when I migrated them to a new PC (rats, no key in registry), and all games every time soemthing got through the antivirus i needed to reformat their PCs ("you mean we need to keep all those product key codes ...?")

Thank goodness for Steam. If it went under today we'd still be ahead of buying disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.