Study Reveals Facebook Causes Anxiety

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Seems like there could be a lot of anxiety from no response. Like "no one loves me" because little activity can bring feelings of rejection that otherwise would not be there. In the real world.
Social addiction is the addiction to constant affirmation maybe?

G

I used to be on FB until recently. Socially, I'm fine - I've lived in numerous countries and been to university, so I know how to interact with people face to face. I was really happy with using FB and adding various people I met, especially that it allowed me to keep in contact with those abroad, however I read this title somewhere today and it completely struck a chord with me. This past year has brought with it a lot of changes and my life is not where I want it to be, so I can understand that those who are slightly insecure or unhappy will have issues with FB - I, personally, remember feeling this weight going off my shoulders as soon as I clicked the 'deactivate' button - though I feel safe in knowing that my account is there when I want to access it again. This won't be for a long time, all I'm really concerned about it photographs?! Twitter is the only social network I am on now and as a Graphic Design student, I find it's much more useful for my career - it's more efficient at informing me of the news than any other website and it's not based about what is going on personally in other people's lives (unless we're talking celebs) FB is good for keeping in contact, but I do agree with this article about the effect it can have on people!

G

I USED TO BE ON FACEBOOK ALL THE TIME....& AFTER i HAD 2 KIDS....FACEBOOK ANXIETY KICKED IN....I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY 1. THERES SO MUCH PRESSURE & I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE IS TRYING TO BE SOMEONE THeir NOT. IT'S ALL ABOUT GETTING ATTENTION & LOOKING COOL & SOUNDING FUNNY. My sister talks about nothing but facebook & whether she should post something & who she hopes doesn't see it & who is mad at her for something she said.....it's just sad!! PEOPLE GET A LIFE!!
WHY DO I CARE WHAT EVERYONE IS DOING EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY..."I'm going grocery shopping now, hope I don't spend too much"..."I'm doing laundry" "I'm gettin drunk tonight"
It's exhausting!!!
I'm cancelling my page as soon as I can put my anxiety to the side & get the balls to actually go on facebook to cancel!! haha

G

Just deleted my account today for this reason. A big YES. It definitely does induce stress and anxiety far easier than in the real world.
It is HIGHLY addictive too. You find yourself checking emails every half hour in case you miss someone else’s message or post. Often you would not know this person even if you ran into him or her in the street. Wasted hours fly by. People stay up until all hours of the night, typing things furiously that will only be forgotten a few minutes or hours later and inevitably vanish forever into the archives of cyberspace. Typed scribble that achieves nothing or very little in the real world.
So many users abuse other users and often the abuse is emotional and personal. Then there are the friend requests. Someone from high school who you didn’t really like that much… some guy who wants to be your friend yet he lists “Satan Worship” and “Broadway Show Tunes” as his Interests. Relatives, parents, or siblings also request you, and this induces paranoia. Do they just want to spy on you? Should I accept or not accept? You finally decide not to, then guilt sets in. Others who you did accept become total pains and you don’t know how to get rid of them without hurting their feelings, so you end up just ignoring them. This only makes you feel more guilty.
The stress and anxiety eventually leads to depression, especially when you think someone is your so-called virtual friend (or virtual friend of a virtual friend) and they suddenly turn on you and attack your comments over something that is actually rather trivial. Or they Unfriend you over some remark that you thought was harmless. They block you too, so youo have no way of contacting them again to apologize or resolve the misunderstanding amicably.
It becomes a weird little unsettling world of manicured profiles, carefully worded status’s and newsfeeds.
Now Facebook has added Timelines, which have created more frustration in users, leading to more stress and anxiety.
My advice, if you start to feel stressed on there, even in the slightest, delete your account immediately and go outside. Meet real people in real situations. Walk to a friend’s or relative’s place in the sunshine and fresh air. Go see a relaxing movie. Smell a flower in the garden, in fact do some gardening. Watch a butterfly, or a bird take straw into a tree to build a nest. Marvel at life away from your computer screen. Pick up the phone and call someone who you actually do know.
Resist the urge to go back online to post just one more cool or smart or irrelevant comment. You will thank yourself in the long run if you kick the habit for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.