Subwoofer not turning on

cirezd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Recently, while using my Energy EW-100 Subwoofer (connected to a VSX-822 A/V receiver), it all of a sudden cut out. The subwoofer itself is still intact (no holes or perforations in it) but it won't turn on, aka no power light on at all. I thought at first it was just over heated (as it was playing fairly loud for a little under 2 hours) so I left it overnight to cool down, however it still won't turn on 3 days later. I'm wondering if subs have some type of fuse or what not on the inside that can blow and would in turn stop the sub for turning on at all. If so, is this an easy/inexpensive fix? If not, what else could be the problem? And is it fixable. Thanks.

Solution
well you obviously have a fault if the power fuse has blown.
There could be another fuse inside that protects the amplifier output though these are often not fitted.
Could still be worth a look inside to see if there is another fuse and also to see if you can find any signs of overheating.
Because the input power fuse has blown it is looking more likely that it is a fault in the power supply.

cirezd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Is that that likely problem though? Is there anything else on subs that generally blow out, or die out w.e you want to call it? And would it be a smart idea for someone who has 0 electrical knowledge to be unscrewing the back panel on my sub? --- how complex is the wiring inside of a sub??

makkem

Distinguished
If it has a fuse then there is a good chance that it is blown and will be well worth a look.
Other common problems would be a power supply fault or an output transistor has blown,both are fixable with some electrical knowledge.
It will be quite complex inside as there will be a power supply and an amplifier.
If you have no knowledge you can still have a look for a fuse just make sure it is unplugged from the supply first.
Also if the plug that goes into the wall socket has a fuse then check that first.

cirezd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I've tried the sub on multiple different outlets just to eliminate that has a possible issue. Do you know of any diagrams or instructions on taking apart/fixing the inside of a sub? I just don't want to do more harm than good and mess it up even more. And I can't get to a musical repair shop for a few days.

makkem

Distinguished
All subs are different and it is quite difficult getting hold of maintenance manuals.
It is normally quite self evident which screws to remove to allow access to the insides.
But if you are really not confident then you will need to take it in for repair.

cirezd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I'm 99% I know how to take it apart, I'm just worried once I get inside of it I'm going to be met with what looks like a bowl of spaghetti of wires and won't be able to do anything

cirezd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
And what does a blown fuse look like? Upon reading a few other forums I noticed I am supposed to disconnect some "wire-lead for the power light"? Does that sound right?

makkem

Distinguished
Remove the fuse from the holder and hold it up to the light and look through it to see if the wire inside is still intact.
Or better if you have a multimeter is to do a continuity test on it.
You should not need to disconnect any wires as the fuse will be on the circuit board.
http://
Something like this but there may only be one of them.

cirezd

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I just replaced a 1A 250V from the back of the sub (without having to remove any back plate) and the sub still won't turn on. The fuse was blown as the lady at the store tested it for me, before I bought the new one...although now I'm not sure if it just doesn't work, or if the fuse just blew instantly when I put the new one in.

makkem

Distinguished
well you obviously have a fault if the power fuse has blown.
There could be another fuse inside that protects the amplifier output though these are often not fitted.
Could still be worth a look inside to see if there is another fuse and also to see if you can find any signs of overheating.
Because the input power fuse has blown it is looking more likely that it is a fault in the power supply.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS