Subwoofers and Bass.

Celdwist

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Hello! This question is not for a problem, but to prevent one! :ange:. I have a stero system that I recently put together, its a mess kinda, but it works great! I have 4 speakers, 1 center and a subwoofer playing at my command. My main question about my subwoofer, and getting a new and better one. My subwoofer is a Sony SA-WM250. It is 100 watts, not the best, but gives great bass! I wanted to know how much can I push it until, well, it breaks! I don't know a whole lot about this tech. The only things I know are the watts and driver size or something. (So go a little easy on me :pt1cable:). My second part of the question is, what would be a suitable upgrade from this? NOT TOO EXPENSIVE. I'm not going to run a professional audio setup, just for music really. My room is small, so the bass goes around better. Just ask if you need anymore information! Thanks!

Solution
The subwoofer is self powered so you don't really have to be concerned with how much power it has if it plays loud enough for you. There is no standard for power ratings on subwoofers so different manufacturers choose if and how much they lie about it (some make up fairy tales).
There are certainly better subwoofers but my recollection of that Sony was that it was good bang (rather than boom) for the buck. To get a substantial improvement you would look to spend maybe minimum $250 -400. There is quality of bass as well as quantity so a better sub will distinct notes and sounds and go lower in range. Even on movies you can hear the difference. Adding a second identical sub can play 3db louder (not 2x louder) but does have advantages if...

fern4all

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I dont have any suggestions for a new one other than going with a sound board and some JBL EON speakers on stands I used to run a setup like that in 2006 along with a Logitech Z-680 surround sound it Rocked. On the other hand you could try and facing the port on your current sub towards a corner in the room and that will maximize the bass coming from it cuz it will bounce off the corner in all directions for a deeper richer Bass.

Celdwist

Estimable
May 15, 2015

mmm. ehh, I have a receiver that will do the job really. It's brand new with all the bells and whistles. It is able to have 2 woofers at the same time, so thats nice. Also, I will try it in the corner, maybe that will be the best. :D. And my subwoofer is from 2005/2006. I got it at a garage sale, so I don't know much about its history. Thanks for the help!

The subwoofer is self powered so you don't really have to be concerned with how much power it has if it plays loud enough for you. There is no standard for power ratings on subwoofers so different manufacturers choose if and how much they lie about it (some make up fairy tales).
There are certainly better subwoofers but my recollection of that Sony was that it was good bang (rather than boom) for the buck. To get a substantial improvement you would look to spend maybe minimum $250 -400. There is quality of bass as well as quantity so a better sub will distinct notes and sounds and go lower in range. Even on movies you can hear the difference. Adding a second identical sub can play 3db louder (not 2x louder) but does have advantages if you place them correctly to get smoother bass. Using two different subs usually screws things up.

Solution

Celdwist

Estimable
May 15, 2015

Okay. Sounds good. Before this I was thinking of a Acoustic Audio PSW-10 Home Theater Powered 10" Subwoofer 400 Watts Surround. I know its not in the price range, but what do you think? Or would it be better if I were to purchase another subwoofer that is the same as the one I was describing, since my receiver can use 2 subwoofers at the same time. Thanks!

the psw10 from polk is not a bad choice either. its only a 100w subwoofer though. dayton has similar in their lineups and if you catch a sale may be able to get something larger. both those and the polk are suggested as budget subwoofers. i'm just not sure if they will be a huge improvement over what you have already as listed before by AA.

if you want to start getting into larger, more powerful subwoofers they get much more expensive than the ones you are looking at. entry level 200-300w models are going to be at least $200-300.

sure, you could add another subwoofer and increase total bass output a bit but its also not the same thing as having a good subwoofer to begin with. if you're on the cheap its about the only thing you can do though. not sure if you can balance between the two as they may sound a bit different sonically but you might be able to.