Sudden shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

no not battery drained, i am on AC power. nothing wrong with power out let , its brand new fitting.

its just goes off , ya black screen shut off, it is doing that after 2 to 2nhalf hours of continous run.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Overheating? Does the length of time differ based on what you are doing? Is the laptop's fan running? How hot is the exhaust?
After a shutdown, can you power it back up immediately and work for another two hours, or is it now just minutes?

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah try sticking it on a cooler pad and see if it runs longer. Also listen for any beeps it could be a sign that one of your component parts is failing or overheating. Does your computer have any special video card or ram features?
This could be an issue with the ram or some component overheating or a bad install of windows. Is there anything that specifically makes it shut off or any messages that happen prior to the shut down?

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

ya i can power it back up and work for another couple of hours, but i have noticed this happening only twice or thrice (the black screen shut off)

can it be that i am placing it on my lap actually while using it in my bedroom that the extra heat cannot escape or something like that.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
That is possible. A laptop should not be operated on a soft surface (like a blanket) that will obstruct airflow. Get one of those lap-desks if something like that may be the cause, or, as marios50 suggested, a laptop cooler.

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

if that was the case then it should be happening when my PC is on the bed sheet, where the underneath is far more covered without any airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.