Suddenly Getting Very Bad FPS In ALL Of My Games?

Garlotch

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
Hi there,

First of all, I know my laptop isn't a "gaming computer" heck, I know it is a very bad computer, it has bad CPU and very bad GPU, not to mention low ram. But it's all I have, and it can run a lot of games, on the lowest settings, depending on what game it is, and if it has crappy enough graphics.

I just tried playing one of my games yesterday, and I noticed it's FPS dropping from 2-10 frames per second, and staying there. I find this unbearable, and I cannot play with this frame rate. I tried some of my other games, I still got that same problem. I even tried Mount & Blade: Warband, which came out in the 2000's. Normally Mount & Blade can run with 100+ frames on my crappy laptop, but today It was only giving me 3-7 frames.

This is really weird and I don't know what to do. I have run CCleaner, and I emptied out the %temp% folder/s. I have altered my background running and startup programs/processes. I have tried updating my drivers with IOBit's 'Driver Booster 2' but nothing has changed or improved it.

Can you guys help me? I think my specs will be hooked up to my account, since I synced it before. Thanks!

I should also mention, that I have been having problems with playing video's on youtube, and facebook. I have even had major problems with playing video files on my computer, I am getting a lot of lagging, stuttering and distortion. I look at my Task Manager and the ram is nearly all being used at all times, but that can be expected since I only have 4gb of ram in my laptop. The CPU on another hand, is at 80%-100% and I think that's why my computer Is being laggy etc. Still, anything I can do to fix this??

Solution
Download AIDA64, it will say "Thermal Throtteling" When you run the test, however, that test is pure torture, so it might reach thermal throtteling and not indicate a problem with your cooling, you may be able to setup the test to be less severe.

You can also look at windows task manager under "performance" if the GHZ drop while under load you have thermal throttling.

RunLuke

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Probably thermal throttling. See if you can clean out any dust, if possible you need new cooling paste / new cpu cooler fan, but I have no idea if that's possible in your laptop since I don't know what it is.

Garlotch

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014

Yeah I don't think that would be possible, it's a Samsung Notebook Series 3 NP300e5e-A01AU

I could probably send it in for a repair, but that wouldn't be ideal. I need to know that it is the thermal throttling 100% before I send it in.

RunLuke

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Download AIDA64, it will say "Thermal Throtteling" When you run the test, however, that test is pure torture, so it might reach thermal throtteling and not indicate a problem with your cooling, you may be able to setup the test to be less severe.

You can also look at windows task manager under "performance" if the GHZ drop while under load you have thermal throttling.

Solution