Suddenly have to buy a new TV

terminalavocent

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Last night, in the middle of watching the debate, there's a flash of color and a pop. Panasonic TC-P50S1 has cracked its screen. I bought it late 2009. I got it through a Panasonic accommodation, I think I paid around $800. Well, no more TV.

This brings me to my question. The last time I researched TVs, plasmas were on their way out but still had much better black levels than LCD. LED LCDs had been introduced not too long ago, but local dimming still was very uncommon. Fast-forward to today where OLED is the emerging technology, 4K is the big sell, and everything's LED (I'm assuming local dimming is standard now). I really wanted to keep this thing until OLED came down, but oh well.

I'm looking for some basic recommendations. I'm going to wait until BF to see what deals pop, though I'm aware BF TV deals are usually on pretty poor models. I'd like to stay at least 50", maybe go to 60" if the cost isn't much different. So 55" as a sweet spot? I don't really care about stuff like a smart TV (I have a WDTV to handle that) or a curved screen. Should I go 4K? All of my content is 1080p, I watch broadcast TV from an antenna, and I don't plan to start downloading 4K. I plan to keep this one until it breaks. Budget is ~$600, ceiling is around $1000, but I can go higher if these price points are wishful thinking, I don't think I'd spend more than $1500.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
60Hz will appear jerky when watching fast movement, like in sports. The 120Hz will also show some jerkiness but not to the same extent. I returned a 60Hz set that was $400 cheaper because I found it unwatchable for sports. They use software tricks to try to compensate for this but it makes everything look fake, which is why I recommend getting the higher Hz and turning off the settings.

terminalavocent

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I don't watch sports. My only two video sources are an antenna and a WDTV, neither of which output 120Hz. Also a BD player, but I literally never use it.

I'd consider a 120Hz monitor where the video source can adjust the refresh rate on the fly. But that would be for a computer.

The only TVs currently available that rival plasma are LG OLED TVs. Refresh rate is not an issue with your sources but since you don't have native 4K available the upscaling quality is very important. That is usually a weak spot on less expensive UHD models from all makers.

terminalavocent

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I'm fine buying 1080p. I was more asking if that would be dumb in the current market and looking to keep a TV for as long as it works.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I went 4K because I plan on keeping it until it dies so wanted to be ready as more 4K content comes out. Once you go 4K you won't want to go back.
1080p is fine and is cheaper of course, so if you don't care about having the higher resolution for the foreseeable future then go with that. 4K sets will keep dropping in price too so even if you decide to go 4K in a year or 2 you'll get better deals.

By the way, 120Hz happens at the TV, the source does not matter. It makes everything look better, not just sports, it's just that sports is constant movement generally so you notice it more. Even someone walking briskly was jerky with the 60Hz set. My opinion is that if you are going to bother spending the kind of money that 4K costs then you might as well get the better set.

Trump broke the TV! :D

About BF, I started to notice they roll out these "special" models just for the week, so good luck finding any reviews on them, so you are rolling the dice, and be sure to put it through its paces quick so you can return if unhappy. Don't get sweep up by BF madness, make sure the TV has all the inputs/outputs as you require, otherwise headache down the road.

terminalavocent

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
120Hz only happens at the TV if the TV interpolates it. The TV can't display more content than exists.

I used to work in an electronics store so I know the BF tricks. Usually the models are very similar to an existing one.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
So whatever it does it looks better on the native 120 set. I watched golf on both sets and you couldn't even really see the club during the swing on the 60Hz one and you could on the 120Hz one. It's not perfect but much better. And won't touch plasma for motion so you may notice it more since you are used to plasma being so smooth.

terminalavocent

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Sorry, had to brush up on my TV tech. So yeah, upping it to 120Hz just has the TV add frames. It's good for gaming and sports, neither of which I do. 120Hz is irrelevant to me.

Also, a built-in tuner is essential. I like the 2016 Vizios but they don't have a tuner.