Suggestions for a "theater" in a grocery store

hiimpaul

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
So to lead off me and my family own a small town grocery store/deli and are looking at ways to stand out to a degree and are looking into getting a Large TV to put above our deli showing the daily specials and different stuff like that.

1. Any recommendations on TV's we are looking for it to be at least 55 inches and for less than $1000 also it is necessary that the TV has a very good viewing angle as it will be on display at a wide angle.

i found this http://goo.gl/kSGRym 60 inch seiki TV i have not heard of this brand but what i have seen of reviews on other sites it seems ok.

2. We need a laptop to run this and i do not think this will be that big of a deal to find a good one but i am not an expert. looking at a price range of roughly $400-500

3. we then need a TV mount that can hold this tv on a wall to give you an idea of the area there is a deli case then 3-4 ft above it there is a wall. preferably less than $100 it does not need to rotate but it may need to lean down so people below it can see it

thanks for any help that you can give. also sorry if this is in the wrong topic i could not find a better one

Solution
do you have a best buy or other large retailer of electronics nearby?

as for televisions i would highly suggest viewing it in person. it can be very hard to tell the quality of televisions from online reviews only reviews.

from a quick google it appears that seiki is owned by sony. however, its a low end brand just like vizio or olevia. a low end television like this has perks since if it breaks you can replace it for not alot of money, however its pretty much impossible to find parts to repair them.

if you have a walmart or other such store in your area you might want to check out their deals as well. sometimes tvs can go on clearance for good prices. i've seen 60" models by vizio for as cheap as $350-400 (floor models) in my area...
do you have a best buy or other large retailer of electronics nearby?

as for televisions i would highly suggest viewing it in person. it can be very hard to tell the quality of televisions from online reviews only reviews.

from a quick google it appears that seiki is owned by sony. however, its a low end brand just like vizio or olevia. a low end television like this has perks since if it breaks you can replace it for not alot of money, however its pretty much impossible to find parts to repair them.

if you have a walmart or other such store in your area you might want to check out their deals as well. sometimes tvs can go on clearance for good prices. i've seen 60" models by vizio for as cheap as $350-400 (floor models) in my area. while not the best in television quality (but still nothing bad) its more than good enough for a store display. and, its cheap.

why do i keep mentioning cheap? quite simply 24/7 use can be hard on televisions. also, you might run into a problem if someone decided to throw something at the tv since its in a public place. you can never count such things out. a cheap tv is easier to replace although it might not be the best for quality. generally people dont mind since its only going to display prices and deals.

if you wanted a nicer tv then you might be interested in this http://www.buysquad.com/product.aspx?pf_id=UN60EH6003&gclid=CjgKEAjw2KCcBRCQ_6mztcunhEgSJABPxOF1bFwec25arAco2Tb-GEN_vpSBzpW6MUlCkJAFJPX9gfD_BwE samsung un60eh6003fxza. we personally have a un50eh6000fxza (the 50" and earlier generation model) which is rather nice. normally its a more expensive tv but this site has it for $979 with a few others at $1099 (msrp $1399).

as for a stand... for a 60 inch tv you are likely going to spend between $100-120. any store that sells tvs has them normally. something of this design http://www.bestbuy.com/site/peerless-smartmount-tilt-wall-mount-for-42-71-flat-panel-tvs-black/1112893.p?id=1218224065557&skuId=1112893&st=tv%20wall%20mount&cp=1&lp=12 should be fine. there are of course other models available but i generally recommend any of the heavier duty (250lb or more) construction. you might want to get one with a latch which secures over the top of the tv mount "legs" so it cant be lifted off accidentally.

there are models online which are only in the $30-60 range however you really need to be careful. some of those arent as strong and dont come with good hardware. this one is only $23 but appears to be fair http://www.amazon.com/VonHaus-Designer-Habitat-PREMIUM-Mount/dp/B003U46SWC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1401498500&sr=8-7&keywords=60+inch+tv+wall+mount you will need to go to the store and buy new hardware though (but this is rather cheap)

as for laptops are concerned... it would be easier for you to manage the external display if you got one with a 1080p screen. i would suggest an i5 model but if need be you could make do with an i3. anything with 6gb or more ram is plenty, the hard drive doesnt really matter. it will only be for displaying video (am i correct?) so it doesnt need much.

an alternative to using a tv+laptop if you have pre-recorded videos you want to loop continuously would be to use a device like this one talked about http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Playing-videos-in-endless-loop/td-p/560470 to play videos off an external hdd or usb drive. to load them onto a drive you would need a pc though (although you could use your home pc for this if you have one). potentially this could save you the expense of a laptop (potentially you could spend as little as about $700 with this method if you bought a cheap tv, cheap mount and a player on sale. however, if you intend to stream from the web or if you lack a computer at all to develop the videos or the like... this option might not work out for you

Solution

hiimpaul

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

first off thank you very much for the incredibly detailed response and thank you for giving me enough info to really know how to do this. we are not doing the endless loop video because we plan on more a repeatedly updated livestream on the daily/weekly specials state news and even sport events but thank you for the suggestion also you are correct that this laptop would be used only for playing the video. But by any chance do you know of any way to use my computer at home to send these things to the computer at the store or the TV if that is possible so i can update from home?

sorry... i dont know too much about streaming to devices over the internet or through wifi...

however you might want to look into chromecast. i've heard that may do what you want.

http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/chrome/devices/chromecast/

you *may* be able to get rid of the laptop and just use chromecast to pull the video from your home pc instead. that would lower your total bill by about $500.

worth looking into. also, it might be possible to stream to a smarttv in a similar manner but sorry i cannot advise too much on how to do this.

TLDR: you might be able to take the laptop out of the equation completely. or perhaps just use chromecast to update it when you're in the store with your laptop or at home with your desktop.

just a thought (and there may be similar products to look up like chromecast).

From your description something like this might work for you:
http://www.digitalsignage.com/
You could use a smartTV that can access it or any pc connected to the TV.
I second the suggestion that unless you buy a TV made for digital signage buy as cheap a TV as you can. 24/7 use can wear them out and a better picture really will not make the TV any more useful for you. Wide viewing angle is important.