suggestions for audio noob!

zornyan

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
hey guys, no idea on this stuff at all so need some help!

I want to get a small home surround sound setup sorted, now my place isn't huge, so I was ideally looking at the systems that had those tall narrow cylinder type ones, also helpful as I don't want sub boxes on the floor etc due to pets.

which would be a decent way to connect this to my tv?

I've got

sky box (for tv)
ps4,ps3,xbox one all connected to tv via a hdmi splitter.

pc which will have its own monitor, and sometimes used with the tv.

now ideally I'm guessing I want some kind of amp/reciever? to connect speakers to. would optical leads be best for connecting up?

also I have the surround sound inbuilt setup on my mobo, gaming 9 xx msi, so would I be better off using an optical/rca from the mobo on board sound, rather than running hdmi from the gpu?

ideally budget is around £200-£300

Solution

They usually go in front of the TV but you can place them above or bellow or even behind. For battery you need to check with the vendor specs. They may use wall power, the wireless could only be for the audio connections.
it sounds like you are looking at those home theater in a box (htib) type solutions. all i have to say is *beware* and you need to do much research on them if you go for them.

it is quite common for the cheap units to have very limited amount of inputs for external sources. sometimes only a single input. it also is not uncommon for them to be stereo only inputs and not 5.1. in many cases you only get 5.1 from the included dvd player not external sources. even if optical or hdmi is an input. now, there are certainly many models which do have 5.1 input but generally are also limited on inputs. those units tend to be higher priced. also, in some cases they may use lower impedance speakers so if you ever wanted to upgrade the speakers or replace the amplifier you might have trouble.

now, they do make mini hifi systems as well which are different. sometimes they use odd impedance speakers as well and you need to do research on them too but given that they are generally stereo units, a stereo input is not a big deal.

it certainly is not friendly to your budget, but the best solutions are to use something with an audio video receiver and either buying separate speakers or a speaker kit.

you did not mention if you just wanted stereo sound (2.0) or if you were looking for something a bit more.

if you only wanted 2.0 audio then you could easily get some powered speakers / studio monitors and hook them up to multiple sources with some switch boxes or adapters. or, you could use a stereo receiver and pair it up with some passive speakers.

av30/av40, cr3/cr4, a2+, pb42x are all good powered speakers
mb42, bs22, diamond 9 or diamond 10, klipsch all are good passive speakers you can pair with an amplifier
of course there are MANY MANY more choices i did not list but those are ones i am familiar with.

zornyan

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FE83AO6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1464979495&sr=8-3&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=surround+sound&dpPl=1&dpID=31b2UWzC35L&ref=plSrch

I DON'T want the dvd players etc, as I've got them, I'm not after some audiophile level of sound, just something with a tad more bass, and more atmosphere and decent quality than my regular TV speakers can provide, so I get a better 'movie' experience per sey, and better gaming experience.

the tall speakers are the rough kind I'm after, as my Mrs likes to take control of the decor of the lounge, and said that's the style she wants, everything else is up to me.

so I need something like that esentially, I dislike clutter and excess wires, so is there some kind of receiver I could plug all my devices into, and then into the speakers?

zornyan

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
never looked into soundbars to be honest, are they decent?

do I need to measure space between my TV and the table it sits on? as in height wise, or do they go infront?

what's the battery life on wireless speakers like?

They usually go in front of the TV but you can place them above or bellow or even behind. For battery you need to check with the vendor specs. They may use wall power, the wireless could only be for the audio connections.

Solution