Suggestions for headset?

Nikhil Puttagunta

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I recently bought the HyperX Cloud IIs so I'd have a headset with a mic. The sound quality is solid, but the mic is too quiet. This is a known complaint about the headset, but it's great otherwise. My plan is to buy a headset with great sound quality and buy a separate mic.

The big thing is that I'm looking for suggestions and comparisons to the Cloud II to see if it's worth buying a new headset or just sticking with the Cloud IIs. I've looked into some headphones such as the ATH M50x, but it's hard to compare to the Cloud II in a review, so I'm asking for more personalized advice here!

My budget is probably around $150 max, but this can change slightly. I'm looking for a comfortable, closed-back headset. I don't want to use an amp or anything. I'm not a huge audiophile, but I want the best audio quality possible for this budget. I'll mainly be using this for gaming, casual music listening, and voice chat. I listen to a wide variety of music, so it's hard to specify exactly what I need. I probably need something balanced, but I'd like clear vocals and a slight emphasis on bass I think. I like to listen to podcasts and vocal-based music moreso than heavy wub-wub EDM (usually). It seems like most music is leaning towards the bass side anyways though which is why decent bass is important.

Also, surround sound or something that can give me directional cues would be fantastic since I'm getting into shooters like H1Z1. I won't be wearing these outside most likely and they'll be used with my laptop. The more noise-isolation the better because I like to wear headphones while I study to block out noise.

Also, if you do suggest something and have used the Cloud IIs, let me know if it's a significant jump up in sound quality in comparison. It might not be a bad idea to just get a mic and stick with the Cloud IIs, so I'm trying to gauge suggestions in comparison to the Cloud IIs to see if the purchase would be worth it.

If you need any more info, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Solution

no worries!

I do not believe it lacks any clarity. Listening to music for example - you can hear each instrument very clearly. If i max out the volume on my rig there is zero distortion, and it is surprisingly...

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I rock ATH M50x all day everyday and honestly wouldn't trade them for anything.

I always suggest Audio Technica for 100% of the audio monitor requests. You can't beat the quality for the price, they sound amazing, have lasted me years and look like new. Fantastic set.

Nikhil Puttagunta

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I've heard great things about the M50x. If you use them for gaming, how do they hold up in terms of clarity and directional cues? If not, is there anything you don't like about them?

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I have a hard time with directional cues... or rather that, a good set of stereo cans produces the same surround sound effect as a "surround" headset, so i didn't put in the rant regarding that. But yes, you do get full stereo which sounds great and does give you directional cues.

Nikhil Puttagunta

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Should've asked this in the previous reply, but how is the sound distribution? I'm not too well-versed in audio stuff, so what I mean is if the headset is bass-heavy, balanced, etc. Does it lack clarity at any part of the spectrum?

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

no worries!

I do not believe it lacks any clarity. Listening to music for example - you can hear each instrument very clearly. If i max out the volume on my rig there is zero distortion, and it is surprisingly comfortable to listen to at high volume - the highs are in no way shrill or harsh. The tweeters in my truck cause fatigue after about an hour or two - never ever ever ever been uncomfortable with my m50xs. Bass is 100% audible, but i would not say it is boosted, which i appreciate. Boosted bass distorts sound and in my opinion... music should be listened to as the artist intended without distortion. (unless i'm in my truck. 2 10" subs is a bit of a bass boost haha)
These are the kind of headsets where you go back and listen to your favorite music and it sounds like you're hearing it for the first time, there is so much more going on in songs than most sets can convey.

Some other things I thought of...

They did have a break in period. Now that they are warn in they sound fantastic, not that they sounded bad before - but they did improve.

They are not uncomfortable or hot, but they are closed cup and do block out people around you quite a lot. Closed cup is, from what I've read, a more accurate sound replication.

The cup is large enough, and elongated, so my whole ear is in there (it feels like it anyway) , which is great - no pressure on the ear.

I am near sighted and wear glasses. I don't wear glasses on the PC, but if i did they would immediately be uncomfortable. I don't know that any headset feels good with glasses, but these for sure don't.

I do not work for Audio Technica and paid full price for my set, definitely not a shill haha.

I have jumped up from my desk, thrown my chair back, spun my chair, fallen back into my chair, yanking, pulling, and running over the cord in all manners possible. I have sat on the things more times than i can count, and wear them every single day. They are not as stiff as the day I bought them, but man - they are still in perfect condition.

Solution

Nikhil Puttagunta

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I think that answers my questions! I'll definitely take a closer look at these and will probably end up picking up a pair. Thanks!