Summer Memes You May Have Missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

this is fail, Keyboard Cat, I am 12 what is this, 100$ serious

hatemongeratf

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Meme. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Failblog and FML count, the rest are just viral. "I am disappoint" is probably the only meme to actually originate in mid-2009, with the possible exceptions of Girugamesh Guy. Since things take time to filter out of quantumrand's accurately labeled "whose name I dare not speak", it's a crap shoot on what'll actually stick. Maybe "The New Battletoads". Or "a pretty cool guy" might enter popular lexicon.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
It does mean what I think it means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

I also said that, "We only know a meme is a meme many months later. So, here are our picks for mid-2009 memes."

I know what you're trying to say though. You're saying that a video of a cat sitting on a bed is not currently a meme. You're right! But I've seen enough signs of the video going viral that I'm predicting we'll see various "copycat" videos with other animals, maybe even a blog, perhaps even avatars, etc. If I'm right, then cat sitting on a bed will indeed be a meme.

I would also add that the 3 Wolf Moon is already a meme, as well. It is everywhere, not just in the Amazon user reviews. It is referenced in many parts of Internet culture, you just have to recognize it ;)

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]You're asking for trouble Rachel...The real meme machine (whose name I dare not speek) might descend upon Tom's and wreak havoc.[/citation]
Oooh, that sounds exciting.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hatemongeratf[/nom]Meme. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Failblog and FML count, the rest are just viral. "I am disappoint" is probably the only meme to actually originate in mid-2009, with the possible exceptions of Girugamesh Guy. Since things take time to filter out of quantumrand's accurately labeled "whose name I dare not speak", it's a crap shoot on what'll actually stick. Maybe "The New Battletoads". Or "a pretty cool guy" might enter popular lexicon.[/citation]
Good call on "Son, I am disappoint." Do you know when the 4chan comic started? I definitely missed that one on my list!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]FAIL[/nom]this is fail, Keyboard Cat, I am 12 what is this, 100$ serious[/citation]
Oh! I think I understand what you are trying to say, finally. You were trying to list what you think are different memes. Well, we already included fail. "I am 12 what is this" might be up for consideration. Keyboard cat is way too old. I'm not familiar with "100$ serious" but I'll look around for it.

hatemongeratf

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]Good call on "Son, I am disappoint." Do you know when the 4chan comic started? I definitely missed that one on my list![/citation]

March, apparently.

hatemongeratf

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]It does mean what I think it means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_memeI also said that, "We only know a meme is a meme many months later. So, here are our picks for mid-2009 memes."I know what you're trying to say though. You're saying that a video of a cat sitting on a bed is not currently a meme. You're right! But I've seen enough signs of the video going viral that I'm predicting we'll see various "copycat" videos with other animals, maybe even a blog, perhaps even avatars, etc. If I'm right, then cat sitting on a bed will indeed be a meme.I would also add that the 3 Wolf Moon is already a meme, as well. It is everywhere, not just in the Amazon user reviews. It is referenced in many parts of Internet culture, you just have to recognize it[/citation]

We'll have to agree to disagree on some of these. No matter how funny or clever, I don't think much of anything from collegehumor is worthy of the meme title. But it's ridiculously hard it is to predict memes of the future. I'll cede 3 wolf moon after remembering the music video.

G

Great article, reminded me of this website called prankdialer.com that lets you send a bunch of these internet memes out over the phone. I've used it a bunch of times, the keyboard cat one is great for when your friend fails at something, hah!

G

Never hear of any of these, but that's the good thing about living as far away from the USA as possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.