Super Smash Bros. Wii U Review: All-Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merry_Blind

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
Fantastic game! Nintendo games are so much fun!

I've played Smash 64 and Melee a lot, and played a bit of Brawl here and there, and this one definitely sits right in between Melee and Brawl. All Smash feel different and all are fun and worth playing. (64 is very arcadey and simple, Melee is very tight, fast and competitive, and Brawl is more floaty and smooth) This new one though feels more familiar than any before it, but that's not a bad thing as it is basically a refinement of the entire series (like most Wii U games actually like Mario Kart 8 relatively to its predecessors).

It feels smooth and polished like Brawl, yet it plays fast and franctically like Melee. I'd say that's a very fine "compromise". Plus, it's more polished and gorgeous than it has ever been.

The ONLY thing I find lacking in the game, is the absence of a proper "campaign". All modes are very fun, and there are a lot of them, but none feel like "the main meal" (appart from classic Smash multiplayer with friends). I'm not asking for something as fledged-out and long as Brawl's Subspace Emissary, but something similar on a smaller scale, more focused and streamlined with less boring filler missions, would have made this an absolute stellar masterpiece.

All around though, this is one incredible game. I'd say this is the best Smash to date as it successfully refined the gameplay and managed to strike a good balance between good old, chaotic, accessible fun and competitive, precise, fast gameplay. People who didn't like Brawl, rejoice! and let Melee go! People who did love Brawl, then go for it! It's similar, but simply much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.