Solved! Surface Pro 3 battery issue

Apr 21, 2019
Hello!
I am writing because in the past weeks I have been experiencing the following issue with surface pro 3 laptop.
I start working with 100% battery and AC unplugged after some time I noticed battery percentage was not lowering as usual, it was much slower.
After around 4 hours of work battery was at 50% aprox.
A couple of minutes after checking it without any warning or so it powered off, not even closing windows session completely abroupt.
I tried to power it on again but the low battery logo appeared on screen and wouldn't turn on, I plugged the charger, power it on and began to charge from 0%.
I have never experienced this problem before, have run windows battery report and battery health is in good condition, power capacity is near New and battery cycles only 190.
Tried to calibrate the battery but no success still happening.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Regards, Matthew

Solution
Sounds like your battery needs to be replaced.

It is extremely common for a battery to give false % readings, saying they have more of a charge than they actually do when they are going bad. It is due to the fact that it can't hold as much of a charge as it used to, but instead of only showing a lower percentage (saying it only goes say to 40%) it instead will say it is a 100% and then die when it gets down to 60%. When it is truly at 0.

The only fix is a new battery. Also, I suggest you get an OEM battery and not an aftermarket one. While it may seem a better deal, initial cost wise, to get the aftermarket one, I never recommend it. The reason being that they can be not even worth what you spend on them, not to mention the fact that...

It is extremely common for a battery to give false % readings, saying they have more of a charge than they actually do when they are going bad. It is due to the fact that it can't hold as much of a charge as it used to, but instead of only showing a lower percentage (saying it only goes say to 40%) it instead will say it is a 100% and then die when it gets down to 60%. When it is truly at 0.

The only fix is a new battery. Also, I suggest you get an OEM battery and not an aftermarket one. While it may seem a better deal, initial cost wise, to get the aftermarket one, I never recommend it. The reason being that they can be not even worth what you spend on them, not to mention the fact that the really bad ones can damage the device. Stick with OEM.

Solution
Apr 21, 2019

The only fix is a new battery. Also, I suggest you get an OEM battery and not an aftermarket one. While it may seem a better deal, initial cost wise, to get the aftermarket one, I never recommend it. The reason being that they can be not even worth what you spend on them, not to mention the fact that the really bad ones can damage the device. Stick with OEM.

Do you suggest is the battery even if it has only 190 cycles on it?