Solved! surround sound

Jim D.

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
Can I replace surround sound passive center speaker with a speaker with voice/dialogue enhancement technology?

Solution
Hearing loss is a common problem when you get older. That makes clarity and detail, which are always important, critical in the center channel of a surround speaker.
Most bad speakers and many decent speakers do not respond the same at low volumes as they do when played loud. Even when the overall volume goes up the details (which are lower in volume) get lost.
Playing with the center level and tone can help but a really accurate center channel speaker is the best way to fix the problem.
Audiophile speaker companies do make center channel speakers that tend to have better detail and clarity.
Paradigm is pretty good and covers a wide price range. Revel is great but starts at a higher price range.
If you wanted to use an active speaker you could use a speaker to line level converter to connect it to an AVR that didn't have a line level center channel output.
The center channel should be voiced to match the left and right front speakers. If you get a better center then it may not blend correctly with the other front speakers.
Generally get better quality speakers not ones with some kind of technology that rarely works.

Sep 14, 2019
Answer was good but does not really answer the question. Also have same question as would like to be able to control audio voice/dialogue volume separate from main speakers with a separate speaker. Not trying to be mean, at least hope not. Maybe it cannot be done? Thought about using tv speakers for this purpose but do not think there is any way to do it? Often audio voice/dialogue gets muffled with all the other sounds. Trying to find a way to separate them out. If you still do not understand the question you will default back to your original answer. Not trying to insult your intelligence, trying to use your intelligence, as am not a tech, just trying to get an answer.

Last edited:

Jim D.

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
If you wanted to use an active speaker you could use a speaker to line level converter to connect it to an AVR that didn't have a line level center channel output.
The center channel should be voiced to match the left and right front speakers. If you get a better center then it may not blend correctly with the other front speakers.
Generally get better quality speakers not ones with some kind of technology that rarely works.
Thanks for the response. I have good quality speakers in my system. In the front I have 3 Definitive Technology C/L/R 1000 bookshelf speakers. My wife and I are over 70 and are starting to have trouble distinguishing dialogue. I have an Onkyo TX-NR575 AVR. I have tried to tweak the controls to get better dialogue but it seems to be a trade-off between losing some of the surround effect to get better dialogue. I don't want to spend the large amount of money it would take to replace my system with a soundbar based system with the voice enhancing technology or even purchasing an expensive upscale AVR with the technology. I will have to check what outputs i have available on the Onkyo. I also understand the part about the new powered center speaker not matching the sound characteristics of the other speakers.

Sep 14, 2019
Also have onkyo tx-nr545 , understand having trouble distinguishing dialogue, wish there was easy way to solve problem. Turned up volume as high as it would go on the “one” speaker that had the best dialogue voice/dialogue and that helped a lot . Maybe that is best can do. Went to -setup- speaker- level cal- 2.4 level cal. Then adjusted volume of the loud tone from each speaker which can be adjusted more or less volume.

Last edited:

Jim D.

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
Thanks for the response. I have good quality speakers in my system. In the front I have 3 Definitive Technology C/L/R 1000 bookshelf speakers. My wife and I are over 70 and are starting to have trouble distinguishing dialogue. I have an Onkyo TX-NR575 AVR. I have tried to tweak the controls to get better dialogue but it seems to be a trade-off between losing some of the surround effect to get better dialogue. I don't want to spend the large amount of money it would take to replace my system with a soundbar based system with the voice enhancing technology or even purchasing an expensive upscale AVR with the technology. I will have to check what outputs i have available on the Onkyo. I also understand the part about the new powered center speaker not matching the sound characteristics of the other speakers.
I had originally made adjustments like increasing level of center channel and reducing bass but didn't help much. I finally put it in permanent night mode and changed movie button setting on remote from "Dolby" to "TV Logic". The dialogue is a little clearer but I seemed to have lost a lot of the surround sound effect.

Hearing loss is a common problem when you get older. That makes clarity and detail, which are always important, critical in the center channel of a surround speaker.
Most bad speakers and many decent speakers do not respond the same at low volumes as they do when played loud. Even when the overall volume goes up the details (which are lower in volume) get lost.
Playing with the center level and tone can help but a really accurate center channel speaker is the best way to fix the problem.
Audiophile speaker companies do make center channel speakers that tend to have better detail and clarity.
Paradigm is pretty good and covers a wide price range. Revel is great but starts at a higher price range.

Solution

Jim D.

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
I looked at the Paradigm site and that is out of my price range. My current front speakers are Definitive Technology C/L/R 1000 which weren't cheap when I bought them many years ago and were considered very good mid-proice speakers. I'm thinking of purchasing a soundbar with dialoue enhancement like a Sonos or Zvox to replace the 3 front speakers feeding it from the optical output from the TV while still using the Onkyo receiver to feed the rear speakers and subwoofer. Any thoughts?