Switch laptop graphics card?

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I have 2 laptops, a dv9000 and a aspire 3624, the dv9000 has green dots or lines all over the screen, even before windows loads, and I think its a graphics card issue. Am I able to take whatever graphics card is in the 3624 and put it in the dv9000? Or does that not work?

Thanks!

Solution
D

We can rule out drivers as a cause because you mentioned the symptoms are present before Windows(and the drivers) are even loaded.

If the picture is fine on the external monitor we know the graphics card is not broken. If the monitor is also showing the same problems then your graphics card is bad and will need to be repaired or replaced. Given the age of the laptop it may be cheaper to just buy a newer laptop than to fix your current HP dv9000.

Good luck to you in your troubleshooting endeavor(s)!
D

Deleted member 489584

The Aspire 3624 uses the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 which is surface mounted to the motherboard, not integrated into the CPU. Unfortunately in most laptops this doesn't afford any advantage because they don't build a slot for a dedicated GPU.

EDIT: SPELLING

D

Deleted member 489584

I suggest trying to connect an external monitor to the dv9000 to further determine the culprit.

D

Deleted member 489584

We can rule out drivers as a cause because you mentioned the symptoms are present before Windows(and the drivers) are even loaded.

If the picture is fine on the external monitor we know the graphics card is not broken. If the monitor is also showing the same problems then your graphics card is bad and will need to be repaired or replaced. Given the age of the laptop it may be cheaper to just buy a newer laptop than to fix your current HP dv9000.

Good luck to you in your troubleshooting endeavor(s)!

Solution