Switching 2 laptop's Processor

Lizclaudio12

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
I recently bought a Lenovo Idea pad and the processor is really slow it's an Intel R Pentium CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHZ my previous toshiba laptop had an i5 processor, i was thinking instead of buying a new processor can I ask someone to switch the processor between the two laptops? is it possible?

Sell your laptop, and get one with CPU you want.
Your "slow"processor is chosen to match the thermal profile that laptop supports. This is the list of tasks:
- you find someone to de-solder BGA chip off your motherboard
- prepare the motherboard for new CPU
- find an i5 CPU in FCBGA1170 socket, with same TDP as original
- solder it back into the board
- hope that the existing BIOS will run (since I doubt you will find BIOS for that laptop with i5 support)
- finally, throw everything in the garbage - your $400 laptop, your $200 CPU...

So.. You will be out $250 for parts, another $150 for labor. You are $100 short of new laptop.

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
The CPU is soldered on, so it is not replaceable. It is a 7.5 watt TDP CPU designed to allow people to browse the internet and check email on cheap and light notebooks. If you are unhappy with the performance, are you able to return it and purchase a better (and more expensive) laptop?

ffg7

Splendid
as of yet I have not come across a laptop cpu that is soldered to the motherboard. I have scrapped a couple dozen or so of laptops with the most recent that had an i3 cpu in it that socket has rpga-988b stamped on it & made by foxconn.

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
If the OP opens up the laptop, he/she will void the warranty and will be unable to return it if he/she had just bought it recently. If he/she does open it up, he will find that the N3450 CPU in the FCPGA socket is soldered on. If the OP is uncertain, he/she can research the socket and CPU online and discover the truth for him/herself rather than rely on those of us who have opened up some laptops.

For the OP, I still recommend returning it if at possible. Other choices are selling it or resigning yourself to the limited performance.

If you have to ask, you cannot switch a mobile's device CPU.

Some hardcore folks, by insistence + nothing to lose + luck, etc *may* be able to do this, but this is all on you.

Switching a mobile's CPU is not for the end consumer. No in the same category as a desktop.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Wrong. PGA = Pin Grid Array - CPUs in these sockets are removable.
BGA are surface mount and soldered.