T-Mobile Rips on iPhone 4 for Both Verizon, AT&T

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whaley97

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
T mobile fan boys arent even smart enough to know T mobile doesnt even have 4g
http://www.gomonews.com/t-mobile-your-hspa-network-is-not-4g/

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I really hope the best for T-Mobile, and I really do hope the iPhone comes to the AWS frequency eventually.

Up here in Canada, Wind and Mobilicity are our T-Mobile-like carriers. While these networks aren't as great as Rogers/Bell (AT&T/Verizon) in terms of performance and phone selection, they have rock bottom pricing. ie: Unlimited everything for $40 bucks a month, no contract (vs >$120/month with contract). The iPhone seems to be the only thing allowing Rogers/Bell to overcharge by this much.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
How many people really care about "nationwide" 4G? I really only care about covereage in my home town. Considering T-Mobile only gives me 3G coverage while I'm at home or at work this claim about 4G coverage surely isn't any better. I get EZ coverage anywhere else in town (Las Vegas). When using EZ you may as well not have internet at all, it takes about 3 minutes to open each web page.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
"Nationwide 4G coverage" basically means if you are in a major city you will get 4G. Right now 4G is a joke, it isn't really "4G it's just faster 3G and more than likely you will not get it. Verizon has a decent 4G network, but when it comes down to it, you will most likely be on 3G and Verizon has the largest 3G network and the best talk network. T-Mobile is trying to do the same thing when AT&T said it's the "fastest 3G network" because it has .2MB/s speed than Verizon but about 20% the coverage. However, my Verizon is way faster than my friends AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Since when is HSPA+ a 4G standard? Last time I looked Wimax and LTE were the only ones close to being true 4G. Just because you crap in a box doesn't mean you can call it a brownie.

They may be the cheapest for voice/data/txt, but you need a signal first to do any of them lol.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Hows the basement look down there T Mobile, its where 3rd place networks reside. LOL FAIL.[/citation]
The fail is on you LOL. I am paying $60 less a month for my wife and I on my T-mobiles plan than if I were with Verizon. $720 more a year for the same coverage is not worth it to me.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I like the plans and customer service for T-Mobile. The coverage isn't as good as AT&T but then neither is Verizon. Nobody has broader coverage than AT&T. Which is why I had to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. I like T-Mobile better and don't really care if I use an I-Phone or a Torch (well I like the Torch for the keypad really). But when I moved to rural Alaska..... AT&T is the only company that will work at all.

kastnna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
First off, T-Mobile isn't 4g. I hope the FTC, FCC, or whoever else hits T-Mo with a hammer once the 4G protocol is officially ratified. Their selling their services as something that it's not.

And like others have said, who cares how fast or cheap your service is if it rarely works?

And for the record, my Verizon service (Blackberry) smokes that of my wife's AT&T service (iphone) and that of my ipad (also AT&T).

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
OMG im sooooooo sick of the phone fad......... every fing website 4 out of 5 posts are about new android this, tablet phone that iphone up the anus of someone running into a semitruck while texting... can we get some computer technology coverage?

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
But this is what makes for good competition... I dont know about you.. but give me a cheaper voice/data plan and offer me a handset with a touchscreen/android os... Id jump ship from verizon in a second.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i dislike these commercials purely because theyre a rip from those PC vs MAC commercials back from a few years ago...[/citation]

So I'm guessing you don't understand the word irony.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i dislike these commercials purely because theyre a rip from those PC vs MAC commercials back from a few years ago...[/citation]
That is exactly why it is clever - they want you to see the similarity. This is a tongue-in-cheek jab at Apple, as well as Verizon and AT&T.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]So I'm guessing you don't understand the word irony.[/citation]
i do i jsut think it's cheesy, and it wud be funny if done once... but they're kinda just riding on it now...

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]whaley97[/nom]T mobile fan boys arent even smart enough to know T mobile doesnt even have 4ghttp://www.gomonews.com/t-mobile-y [...] is-not-4g/[/citation]

Engadet has an article talking about the history and the definition of the "G"s.
In short, techically by International Telecommunications Union (ITU) none of LTE, WinMax, or HSPA+ has met the 4G standard (IMT-2000)... but that was the history... now in the reality... the marketing of the cell phone carriers have won the war by forcing the 4G lie to a truth. That means ITU eventually lose their 4G standard to include all LTE, WinMax, and HSPA+.

Original source of the information:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/2g-3g-4g-and-everything-in-between-an-engadget-wireless-prim/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS