Taking Google+ for a Test Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
thanks, but I think I can wait until the service is widely available. After all, I did not join FB so far... I am a skeptic.
OTOH, if this proves to be somewhat safer than FB, I might give it a try.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The software works or it doesn't. This limited membership pool is ridiculous. People will be talking about Google+ for a few days (maybe a couple weeks). If Google does not open up membership to the general public in that time, it will die. I remember when Gmail invites were the next big thing. I didn't even notice when Gmail opened up to the general public (took many months), all I know is that Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail still have more accounts than Gmail. If Google wants to compete with Facebook, it needs to be there right away. Unlike email, social sites like this are living breathing organisms. You need those members to keep the website alive. You can TRY to be elitist, "we're only letting so many people in", to try to build up buzz, but when people can (and already do) use Facebook instead, why are they going to hang around trying to get into Google's exclusive club?

Face it, people use MySpace OR Facebook OR any of the other alternatives (especially regional ones), but unless you are a business or celebrity, how many people use more than one? How many millions of dead myspace pages are there? Those people didn't disappear, they just moved on. Google needs people to move on from Facebook for Google+ to be a success. Those people won't even try if Google won't let them.

I get an email from an acquaintance now and then inviting me to join Facebook, and you know what, if I cared, I could click that link and actually join. You try to join Google+ today, and you'll be told to come back later. First rule of sales is never let the customer walk out the door without buying something, and Google won't even unlock the doors to let customers in.

G

As the battle goes on between the two giants FACEBOOK & GOOGLE, a new social networking & media site has taken the industry by surprise ONLYMEWORLD! ONLYMEWORLD allows it's members to place their own google adsense and/or any ads to their profiles, allowing it's members to make monies! Most people who have been concerned over FACEBOOK's continued disregard of it's users privacy rights are switching because unlike any other social network, ONLYMEWORLD does not require a real name, and email address...NO MORE SPAM, NO MORE HASSLES, NO MORE IDENTITY THEFT! This little startup is starting to see some serious traffic from around the world, according to alexa ONLYMEWORLD is experiencing TRIPLE DIGIT GROWTH!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
G+ would become something really significant if it does come out successfully. One reason is that the Gmail account is also tied to the Android smartphones, which it's something that the FB lacks. :)

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]The software works or it doesn't. This limited membership pool is ridiculous. ...[/citation]
Wow, are you really that social that you needed to be in the G+ social network asap? Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting a couple months til it's offically released. As long as you have a Gmail account already, I'm sure no one can take your ID when G+ goes public.
Patient my friend. :)

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Calm down, it's limited membership now because they're still testing/developing it. That will change in the near future.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think its better for them to keep it 'invite only' for a while so they can test it out and iron out the bugs. Given that millions of people would sign up within a couple of day of launch, its probably the safest bet. They also probably retain the right to delete users/data in the beta period. If they just launched it and something went wrong, it could ruin the entire site.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Her name is Cujo, she totally wants to eat people.[/citation]
I want tuna, I want chicken, but Human flavor keeps me lickin, I like humans, and their liver, human mix human mix please deliver!

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
[citation][nom]exfileme[/nom]lol "lovely" is such a lovely word... not something I would use to describe Batgirl.[/citation]

Only Jane...*sigh*

G

This beautiful young woman is "bumping" her article to stay in the top slot of the news section!!! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.