Solved! TCL 4K HD Roku TV

Sep 9, 2019
I recently bought a TCL 43s421 4k HD TV, and so far love it.

I have one problem and was wondering if it's a cable set top box issue, cabling issue, or what.

When I watch the streaming ROKU channels, they're vivid color, fill the entire screen and I assume are 4K HD. They all look great.

The set top box I'm connecting to the TV is from Cable One (now Sparklight) and the cable package I have has a selection of HD channels which put black letter boxing on my old, analog television.

But when I swap to the HDMI1 -> Cable TV set top box, I get the black border around the picture (it looks great, vivid and colorful, but it doesn't fill the entire screen). I've tinkered with the Advanced settings and tried Zoom (full screen which is good, but picture quality degrades noticeably) and stretch (the aspect ratio is off and stuff looks "odd" and again the picture quality degrades somewhat).

I used a "Monster Cable HDMI - 4K HDR Ultra HD Gold" cable to connect the set top box to the TCL 43" TV.

I haven't had time to set up my X Box One X (enhanced 4K HD gaming) system to the TV, yet. So, I'm not sure if I'll get the full screen 4k HD from HDMI2 when I do get around to connecting the system (crosses fingers).